Maybe I come on alittle hostile. I guess I don't like alot of the changes that have taken place. I am a hardware guy & don't give a rat's butt about fancy window dressing. Show me the guts.
  A while back, there were some really hot discussions with some guys that knew their stuff, let me tell ya. Four-F was even in on the discussions. Lot's of really good information being exchanged. None of it was malicious, though I suppose some ___ hole could have used some of it to seek & destroy. Unfortunately those types are always gonna be there. That's no reason to remove all of it. So where did it go? What happened to the promiss (posted) that it would be back? I lost some old programs I'd like to get back & one day this was a great place to do that. If you want to discuss Low Level, then don't start over from scratch. Bring back the archives and jump to the front of the line.
Posted on 2007-12-28 09:10:53 by mrgone
Every single post that has survived from the years of software changes, hacks and deletions are here. I've even gone out of my way to convert and integrate some of pre-win32asmcommunity.net content. The majority of deletions actually go into a "recycling bin" of sorts that only the Community Staff can see. I'll search through it for content that should be in Low Level concepts... but I can't see that being more than 50 posts.

What is missing are a good deal of the file attachments. It seems like this is what you are talking about, and those files didn't suffer from deletion, but from the multitude of hacks that have occurred over the years. Threads/posts are stored in a database, but files and avatars are stored straight on disk. Also, we've switched from custom ASP software, to vBulletin, to phpBB and are currently at using SMF. This brought some more strain on the ability to carry over file attachments.

As it stands, we are pending custom forum software written by me to reduce the clutter, generic feel and vulnerabilities. Between the custom software and the daily backups, we should be able to virtually eliminate any worries about losing the files ever again.

I thank you for your post, mrgone, and I will be working to do the things I mentioned above... just don't expect them done by tomorrow ;)
Posted on 2007-12-28 09:50:27 by SpooK
Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong. But I can do partial word searches even, and come up with nothing. But yeah, the attachments would be what many would want like myself, but it helps to see alittle discussion about it so you don't automatically crash your computer the first time you run it. ;)
Posted on 2007-12-28 10:23:30 by mrgone
I have a copy of most of the older attachments. If you can supply me with the filename of the thing you are looking for, I can find it for you. There's 4000 files, so finding them would not be easy if you don't tell me the file name.

When the forum was hacked into, I believe the links to the file database was destroyed, so its hard to fix it now.
Posted on 2007-12-28 12:42:07 by roticv

Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong. But I can do partial word searches even, and come up with nothing. But yeah, the attachments would be what many would want like myself, but it helps to see alittle discussion about it so you don't automatically crash your computer the first time you run it. ;)

Yeah, the search functionality of this forum software has been less than sufficient. It is better than nothing, but it needs much improvement.

All of that is actually touched-upon in THIS thread and is actively being addresses in THIS thread :)

I have a copy of most of the older attachments. If you can supply me with the filename of the thing you are looking for, I can find it for you. There's 4000 files, so finding them would not be easy if you don't tell me the file name.

When the forum was hacked into, I believe the links to the file database was destroyed, so its hard to fix it now.

I'll probably bug you for all of those attachements, soon enough ;)
Posted on 2007-12-28 14:25:26 by SpooK
People are already bugging me for it. I'm uploading it and will let you guys know when it is finally uploaded.  ;)

My apologies for hogging them hehe.
Posted on 2007-12-29 10:05:18 by roticv

People are already bugging me for it. I'm uploading it and will let you guys know when it is finally uploaded.  ;)

My apologies for hogging them hehe.

Got them, thanks again.

I got in contact with Hiro and he'll be sending me some info related to the old vBulletin database/threads. Using that I should be able to piece together things. He may or may not have all of the original attachments from that forum, but I guess we'll see ;)
Posted on 2007-12-29 14:28:01 by SpooK