I hope someone can assist:
Win32help is not supported under vista. How can I get it to be supported - am using Dual-Core Intel with vista home premium, MASM32.
Thank you
Posted on 2008-01-20 21:51:58 by rantek
Posted on 2008-01-20 22:34:00 by SpooK
Dump the ugly old & outdated win32.hlp file and move to the PlatformSDK documentation.
Posted on 2008-01-21 07:34:05 by f0dder

Dump the ugly old & outdated win32.hlp file and move to the PlatformSDK documentation.

Why would I want to use 44 MB of my memory to view MASM32's help file using dexplore while WinHlp32 takes only 2MB and doesn't need all that "Reflecting your recent settings..." crap? :lol:
Posted on 2008-01-21 08:18:48 by XCHG

Why would I want to use 44 MB of my memory to view MASM32's help file using dexplore while WinHlp32 takes only 2MB and doesn't need all that "Reflecting your recent settings..." crap? :lol:

First of all, win32.hlp != MASM32's help file, it's from Microsoft.

Second, it's horribly outdated.

Third, it's horrible to navigate - htmlhelp and htmlhelp v2 are much nicer.

Sure, htmlhelp v2 has a pretty bloated viewer :/, but with the choice between .hlp and HHv2... the decision is a no-brainer. The only place where .hlp has an advantage if you're working with very old hardware, or develop off an USB stick (in which case you're better off with online MSDN docs anyway).
Posted on 2008-01-21 08:25:13 by f0dder

First of all, win32.hlp != MASM32's help file, it's from Microsoft.

Second, it's horribly outdated.

Third, it's horrible to navigate - htmlhelp and htmlhelp v2 are much nicer.

Sure, htmlhelp v2 has a pretty bloated viewer :/, but with the choice between .hlp and HHv2... the decision is a no-brainer. The only place where .hlp has an advantage if you're working with very old hardware, or develop off an USB stick (in which case you're better off with online MSDN docs anyway).

What's win32.hlp have to do with what I said? Do these things just randomly come to your mind and make you believe somebody has talked about them in their posts or what? Um I am talking about the host platform for each of the help files (as you can see in my post or can you?). Uh then yes you are right. dexplore.exe has its own advantages but to be honest, unless I am viewing MSDN or a huge documentation like that, I would rather stick to a light version of a help viewer program. There are many disadvantages to using dexplore.exe. For example, if you don't use it for a while and switch back to the program, the whole task switching and loading the application's data into the memory takes A LONG TIME. I have experienced more than 10 seconds on my Core Duo processor :(
Posted on 2008-01-21 08:45:37 by XCHG

Who uses dexplore ??? I have the PSDK and don't use dexplore. H2Viewer is a 3rd party viewer that is under 400KB and the footprint is nowhere near 44MB (around 15MB on my system). But with it I get the most up to date information, some great articles and since H2viewer has a command line interface, F1 context sensitive help is available using it with RadASM. The Win32 help file is junk and so outdated it is the next best thing to useless.

http://www.helpware.net/mshelp2/h2viewer.htm

Donkey
Posted on 2008-01-21 10:15:51 by donkey

Who uses dexplore ??? I have the PSDK and don't use dexplore. H2Viewer is a 3rd party viewer that is under 400KB and the footprint is nowhere near 44MB (around 15MB on my system). But with it I get the most up to date information, some great articles and since H2viewer has a command line interface, F1 context sensitive help is available using it with RadASM. The Win32 help file is junk and so outdated it is the next best thing to useless.

http://www.helpware.net/mshelp2/h2viewer.htm

Donkey

That's great :shock: Can you also browse your MSDN CDs and DVDs offline with this tool?
Posted on 2008-01-21 11:20:36 by XCHG

What's win32.hlp have to do with what I said? Do these things just randomly come to your mind and make you believe somebody has talked about them in their posts or what?

I read the original post in this thread as "win32.hlp" instead of "win32help", my mistake.

For example, if you don't use it for a while and switch back to the program, the whole task switching and loading the application's data into the memory takes A LONG TIME. I have experienced more than 10 seconds on my Core Duo processor :(

How much RAM do you have in that machine? If you've got a gigabyte or more, and you're not using a ATI graphics card, try setting "LargeSystemCache=1". And definitely set "DisablePagingExecutive=1" no matter what, ATI card or not. Google for the settings if you need more info :)
Posted on 2008-01-21 18:12:39 by f0dder
Thanks for your posts- gives great support
Posted on 2008-01-22 04:11:52 by rantek