Hi all, new to this board, just reading through a few posts.

Just wanted to ask a question which im pretty sure you have probably all heard before:

Is it possible to learn ASM without any prior knowledge to programming at all?

cheers  :)
Posted on 2008-03-03 05:58:06 by swatto
Is it possible to learn ASM without any prior knowledge to programming at all?
It is, but it's probably not the best way to go around things, since it's so easy getting lost in the details (ie., which registers to use, or whether to use LEA+ADD instead of MUL) instead of focusing on getting things doneTM.

Probably better to learn another language first, or at the same time... since you're interested in assembly, you'd probably want to take on one of the "lower-level HLLs" like C, which goes pretty well in tandem with assembly, and you can study compiler code generation etc.
Posted on 2008-03-03 06:59:26 by f0dder
Thanks f0dder,

well I say no prior experience - I mean I have dabbled in different programming languages but not in-depth (pointers and classes etc) because I get bored (and run out of ideas to use the things I have learned).  Im currently studying c++ but im far from learning the more advanced concepts - at the moment I just know about datatypes, looping, program control flow (if-else statements) etc.  I think im more intrested in why the program does what it does.
Posted on 2008-03-03 08:02:45 by swatto
Well, if you have a good idea of how those things mentioned work, perhaps now is the right time to dig into assembly as well :). Check your compiler's "generating assembly listing" setting, generally it's most readable when optimizing for size (no optimizations at all tend to generate a lot of redundant code), but looking at speed-optimized output can be useful too.
Posted on 2008-03-03 08:25:05 by f0dder