Anyone have a copy of the PCI Firmware Specification 3?  as I am looking for some information on ACPI and MMConfig area as it relates to ACPI (I read that newer OS's are moving away from reading PCI space at 0xCF8/C and moving to MMConfig) and since I no longer work for a company that is part of PCI-Sig I do not have access to this manual any longer.

** Not asking for a copy of the manual, just need some information out of it.

Posted on 2008-04-03 18:55:55 by madprgmr
Hmm, I thought I saw a "PCI starters-kit" for just $200 somewhere (a "universal" PCI PCB plus some stuff), I thought PCI documentation is easy to get one's hands on.
I've always felt lame not knowing absolutely everything of the PC system, to try to tune BIOS/win32-drivers ^^" ; or lack of know-how to make my own PCI card at some time in the future (I'm sick of LPT, rs232 and USB).
But $3000/year membership :|
Posted on 2008-04-04 08:30:43 by Ultrano

Hmm, I thought I saw a "PCI starters-kit" for just $200 somewhere (a "universal" PCI PCB plus some stuff), I thought PCI documentation is easy to get one's hands on.

From past experience, getting your hands on the PCI documentation has never been very easy (that is if you are under a tight budget and don't work for a company who belongs to PCI-SIG). -- I have the PCI 2.x and 3.x spec book; however, they have now split things up and removed information only to place it into this new PCI Firmware Specification 3 book (the pisser is that this was not done while I worked for the company that did belong to PIC sig).

Thanks for the tip about the "PCI starters-kit", I will have to see if I can track that down.

I've always felt lame not knowing absolutely everything of the PC system, to try to tune BIOS/win32-drivers ^^" ; or lack of know-how to make my own PCI card at some time in the future (I'm sick of LPT, rs232 and USB).
But $3000/year membership :|

I do not mind not knowing how to make my own PCI card; however, what does drive me nuts is not being knowing how everything is done from a systems level point of view (from power on up through OS utilizations) and what really sends me over the edge is not being able to gain access to the information that I need (such as this new PCI Firmware Spec) in-order-to figure out the things that I do not know.

Posted on 2008-04-04 12:11:12 by madprgmr