Is that possible?
Posted on 2008-04-10 03:57:16 by sittingduck
Yes, and this is true in most cases.
In order to translate from one 3D object file format to another, all you need to do is look up the specifications ('specs') of those two file formats, and then write a program that can read file format A, and write to file format B.
You can find example sourcecode for converting several common file formats on the net, for example read OBJ plaintext and write X binary.

I have written many loaders, but generally when I want to write data, I'll write it to my own custom file format, so I have not written quite as much code involving writing to a specific format.

But you can always forget all that and write a 'file dumper' which loads a given format, then spits out plaintext in your own format, according to your needs.

Regardless, you need to start poking around for information about the source file structure as your first step.
Posted on 2008-04-10 04:09:42 by Homer

Yes, and this is true in most cases.
In order to translate from one 3D object file format to another, all you need to do is look up the specifications ('specs') of those two file formats, and then write a program that can read file format A, and write to file format B.

I was hoping for a 'quick fix' i.e some util that would have done the conv for me.
But thanks anyway.
Posted on 2008-04-11 06:58:38 by sittingduck
Doesn't lightwave have a native .ASC (or something) output format?
Posted on 2008-04-11 07:01:54 by f0dder
For a quick fix, get the .obj exporter for lightwave. It was on some japanese site, you can't miss it.
Posted on 2008-04-11 08:48:06 by Ultrano

Doesn't lightwave have a native .ASC (or something) output format?

:shock: oops you're right.
the .obj format is pure Ascii i thought it was some sort of object file similar to what a compiler spits out.

Posted on 2008-04-11 10:44:19 by sittingduck
And in 3dsmax it's called "ase".
Posted on 2008-04-11 17:37:03 by ti_mo_n
Ah yes, ASE... I remember writing a parser for that ages ago when a friend and I did a 3D engine (he did all the mathy stuff :))
Posted on 2008-04-11 19:09:54 by f0dder
Yeah, my friend way back in grade 10 made a wireframe rendering system from scratch in VB6 and exported his wireframes from 3dsmax and loaded them with his own custom loader, lol. He actually stripped some extra info out of the format to make it a bit smaller, lol.
Posted on 2008-04-11 23:32:50 by Bobbias
Dudes, you too? ^^ I still have a converter from ASE to my own ultra-simple geometry format ^^ I made an opengl demo way back then ^^ Gosh, this brings back memories :P
Posted on 2008-04-13 17:45:59 by ti_mo_n

^^ Gosh, this brings back memories :P

That's the reson I got in to this again... Flashbacks from the good old Amiga days. :-)
Posted on 2008-04-15 03:08:58 by sittingduck