I have a tool that scans(parses) the registry for invalid entries and deletes them.
I looked for things that are considered as "invalid registry entries" and found many things that comes in the criteria, like following-

Missing shared dlls
Unused file extensions
activex issues
COM issues
class (Invalid or empty class) issues
MUI cache
etc.

My question is that how can I determine wheather an entry in a registry is invalid or not according to above criteria.
Posted on 2008-05-04 12:57:09 by shakuni
by processing the data maybe?

Missing shared dlls  -> check if the dll exists in the windows\system32 folder for example (though this isn't an 'exact' method.. just an example)..

Unused file extensions -> hmm sounds a bit dodgy, essentially for this to be 'accurate' you would have to scan through the whole harddisk(s) looking for files with an extension, any found would obviously be 'used', any not found you can remove (though this is incredibly bad imho)...

etc etc etc...
Posted on 2008-05-05 01:58:45 by evlncrn8
Of course, you could probably compile a list of file extensions you'll never use, and feed it that through a settings file or something.
Posted on 2008-05-08 06:23:26 by Bobbias
I think unused file extensions refers to extensions in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive that have an associated handler that doesn't exist.  For example if you uninstalled Photoshop, then registry cleaner type utilities may declare .PSD as an unused extension.

Similarly, ActiveX, COM issues might mean that you've got registered COM objects on your system that have no longer have the associated DLL to serve them.

As for MUICache, I'm not sure what that is.
Posted on 2008-05-31 04:25:54 by iblis