Where do I start.  I am just starting to learn UNIX for os x.  I also want to learn a language.  I am interested in learning to program as close to the ones and zeros as posable so I found you guys.  Where do I go from here.  What questions should I be asking?  How much time is reasonable to spend learning each day?  Thanks for your help.
Posted on 2008-05-16 00:01:52 by sydneylebowitz
Do you have any programming experience ?
Do you know "any" programming language ?
if Yes then please tell us more about it so that we can help.
if No then directly learning assembly language is not a good idea, learn C first.

How much time is reasonable to spend learning each day?

As much as you can
Thanks for your help.

You are welcome.  8)
Posted on 2008-05-16 04:14:41 by shakuni

Do you have any programming experience ?
Do you know "any" programming language ?
if Yes then please tell us more about it so that we can help.
if No then directly learning assembly language is not a good idea, learn C first.

Learning C first is not at all necessary, actually your chances of success with assembly drop if you know other programming languages. This is because you come into assembly with a lot of baggage and pre-conceived notions from the other language. This was actually the reasoning behind Randal's HLA. I had no programming experience when I began using assembly and did not find that a hindrance at all. The best suggestion is to start with a project in mind, a simple GUI application or some such and learn as you write it, worked for me.

Donkey
Posted on 2008-05-18 14:52:11 by donkey
The difficultly in answering such a question stems from the fact that everyone learns differently and people are predisposed to learn certain things with a greater ease than other things.

For some (I would imagine most) people, experience with an "easier" programming language in terms of honing your logic discipline should help make the transition to assembly language that much easier.

That being said, if you do not have great predisposition for logic/programming, then the learning curve will remain just as difficult because you will lack the capability to be completely original in logical problem solving.

Point in case: I can study to be an artist all I want, but I do not have have any predisposition for artistic ability, so the best I can do is approximate artistic design, i.e. simulation.
Posted on 2008-05-18 15:32:23 by SpooK