Dear all Friends:
      I am learning 32-bit assembly language programing, when i try to build my own library(stdio.lib), i  find both the two program LIB.exe and LINK.exe /LIB can complish the work. So, i want to know what is the difference between the LIB.exe and LINK.exe /LIB. LINK.exe is enough to accomplish linker founction and liber fountion with /LIB, why there is another LIB.exe? 
Posted on 2008-08-24 03:25:20 by qlmi
Today, LIB.EXE is usually just a stub that calls LINK.EXE, which does all the hard work.
Posted on 2008-08-24 11:51:49 by f0dder
thanks a lot. I think LINK.EXE is enough for all programing requirements, so LIB.EXE is excrescent.

But what is a stub? what will happen if we delete LIB.EXE file?
Posted on 2008-08-24 20:25:56 by qlmi
stub is an almost-empty wrapper for or implementation of something else. Internally lib.exe just calls link.exe with an added "/lib" parameter.
To try deleting the lib.exe safely, just rename it and try building a project :)
Posted on 2008-08-24 23:49:23 by Ultrano

stub is an almost-empty wrapper for or implementation of something else. Internally lib.exe just calls link.exe with an added "/lib" parameter.
To try deleting the lib.exe safely, just rename it and try building a project :)

you are right. I rename LIB.exe to LIB32.exe and bulid library:mylib.lib using LINK /LIB, it can work propely.
Posted on 2008-08-25 03:56:09 by qlmi
another question:
  when check all the usage options of LINK.exe ,  I can't find /lib options, but when type in LINK /HELP on command line, screen displays as follow:
      LINK /Link for help on Linker
      LINK /Lib for help on Library Manager
      LINK /Dump for help on Dumper
      LINK /Edit for help on Editor
      LINK /Help for help on Helper
what's the matter?
Posted on 2008-08-25 04:10:10 by qlmi
Link /Lib /?

:)
Posted on 2008-08-25 08:56:01 by f0dder