Hey guys. It's been a really long time since I've been able to hang around here and post some topics. I have been really busy with non-assembly programming (coded the current http://www.budweiser.co.uk about two months ago which is online right now) and now I am working again the second version of the website which will be up soon. It's quite shocking working with ActionScript but the money is not bad. I have also done my Masters thesis about SSE optimization. Something I thought I would never do! Anyway, enough about me. How is everyone else? :D It's good to be back.
Posted on 2008-08-31 12:40:26 by XCHG
Welcome back :)

Unfortunately things haven't been going too well for me this year, it's really starting to look like a recession.
My engineering company is struggling, my competitors are dropping like flies, it's hard times.
I've even had to start selling my software to supplement my meagre income :|
Sometimes its hard to stay focused on the important things in life, but change is inevitable.
Posted on 2008-08-31 17:47:48 by Homer
(...) I have been really busy with non-assembly programming (coded the current http://www.budweiser.co.uk about two months ago which is online right now) and now I am working again the second version of the website which will be up soon. It's quite shocking working with ActionScript but the money is not bad. (...) How is everyone else? :D

I'm actually extremely busy with similiar thing except mine uses PHP to generate XML on server-side, sends it to the client and the client (browser) displays it via XSLT transfom + CSS + JS/AJAX. And, man, it's really hard to find a XML/XSLT programmer (in my country at least ^^' ).
Posted on 2008-09-01 04:27:38 by ti_mo_n
Welcome back :) . Man, I envy you all working on non-buggy OSes, with non-buggy compilers :P.
Posted on 2008-09-02 19:25:28 by Ultrano
Yeah it's pretty funny Ultrano. Before taking this job, I was all about Assembly and my dream job was being an Assembly programmer. It still is but to be honest with you, it's just about the money. If I get paid 80,000 bucks per year to code HTML rather than taking a 70,000 bucks-a-year job, I would definitely go with the HTML job.

Anyway, hope you all are well. I actually did my Master thesis about MMX/SSE optimization. It was quite fun.
Posted on 2008-09-25 03:07:29 by XCHG
If I get paid 80,000 bucks per year to code HTML rather than taking a 70,000 bucks-a-year job, I would definitely go with the HTML job.

Haha! Man, we're sooooo similar :P
Posted on 2008-09-25 11:16:20 by ti_mo_n
The problem with that is that there's at least 80,000 kids who'll code html for free.
Who is gonna code asm for free apart from a fistful of people who love what they do?
Posted on 2008-09-26 01:59:28 by Homer

Before taking this job, I was all about Assembly and my dream job was being an Assembly programmer. It still is but to be honest with you, it's just about the money.

I am in the same boat. I do various XHTML/PHP website development, mainly dealing in e-commerce systems.

At times, I feel like a sell-out, web/script kiddie, or that I would be happier being a full-time professional assembly language programmer.

What I have come to realize, is that web-based development can be sufficiently challenging and rewarding, while allowing me some time to do the asm programming as personal/side projects. I wish I had more time to do those personal projects, but reality is reality, and it would be foolish to turn down any kind of reasonable work these days.

Also, with web development, I don't lose any sleep when employers and/or clients absolutely insist on implementing sub-optimal/hackish/quick solutions... it's their dime. I can invest my programming ethics/desires into my own projects, enforcing a higher standard of quality without bureaucracy.

So, for now, I will continue to work the web. I would be lying if I said I don't want my work with asm/DynatOS to turn-over into the basis for a decent business, but that would just be icing on the cake.
Posted on 2008-09-27 00:56:17 by SpooK
I think Ultrano is the luckiest coder I know.
Not only does he code asm and get paid for it, but its gamedev, my dream job.
I'm totally jealous of you my friend.
Posted on 2008-09-27 05:23:58 by Homer
@Homer: not true :P. In the last 2 years it's been mostly BlackBerryOS (java), and recently some SymbianOS/UIQ( obfuscated template-ridden C++). Only today I got some asm code to do - strangely,  a PalmOS5 project was queued (palm is a dead platform). Though, I toy sometimes with java-bytecode (from which I only watch how to trick the compiler, no bytecode goes in the release...).  And when on BlackBerry issuing a draw-command takes 1ms - no matter whether it's a single pixel or half a million pixels... kinda limits the eye-candy >_< . And even when I code games in C+asm, it's all ugly limited software rasterization ^^
Oh, and I won't cover in-depth how some mobile OS vendors lie to you, throw you in the dirt, purposely make your apps break in new firmwares, and give all KB to a competitor. Having been very serious about my work and users' experience, I've had a few nerve crises and all my teeth got "sick" and I'm currently getting crowns for each while arsenic can't kill the nerves (they get taken-out alive), done without anesthetics (can't afford the $ and time). And at some time I got to hate programming.  (well, right now with this ARMasm+C project and some opengl goodness, I'm pretty happy today)
Overall, I might not be the luckiest coder :P
Posted on 2008-09-27 08:31:09 by Ultrano