anyone out here who could help me,, i'm currently creating a baby OS using NASM.. i'm in badly need of source codes for dir, mkdir, del, reboot, copy, cd and other shell commands.. can anyone please help me?? i'm really quite in a deep pressure now since i've been working on it for almost 2weeks already and we need to submit this project within this week. hope someone would respond please. thanks

:sad:
Posted on 2008-09-30 13:59:18 by delasalasm
Download the linux kernel, and have a look through that code
Posted on 2008-10-04 13:08:26 by sidey1234
Another option is to take a look at the MINIX source code, the basis for the first version of Linux.
Posted on 2008-10-05 00:25:16 by SpooK
I suggest getting a few books also, one I normally suggest to people who are interested in OS Dev is "Operating Systems - Design and Implementation, Second Edition" written by A. Tanenbaum and A Woodhull. It walks you through MINIX so it's a good idea to have a copy of the MINIX source along with it. After you have read that one and have gotten fairly comfortable I'd probably move on to something like the MMURTL eBook or some of the stuff at OSDev and BonaFide.

I don't suggest you start out trying to code an OS in assembly. First get the concepts down, build a few toy kernels in C and write a boot loader for your kernel in assembly. Learn to do your process/memory managment, file/directory/disk managment, and any other stuff like timing, messaging, shell/GUI, etc. while you are working in C on your toy OS. Then, when you decide to build your NASM-OS you'll already have a firm understanding of what you are doing and you can focus on optimization. Otherwise, what's the point of doing it in Assembly?

As a final note, any instructor who would give an assignment such as a toy OS as a project should have long since taught you how to create basic shell tools... But that's just my view.

PS:
ASMUTILS - Assembly Binutils
Posted on 2008-10-06 09:48:28 by Synfire