me and my best friend
Attachments:
Posted on 2008-10-18 02:26:00 by Homer
Hey, I moved your thread to a more appropriate location. It's another boring day for me...
Posted on 2008-10-18 10:46:45 by roticv
To kill some boredom, look at the Google Android SDK ;)
Includes an emulator, for now dev is on Java, but soon we'll get C++ interface (and thus ASM).
It's a freaking dream come true for me, on these mobile buggers :D . There's an almost guaranteed "good-bye, mobile-OS bugs everywhere".
Posted on 2008-10-18 20:42:44 by Ultrano
I got bored the other day and setup my laptop to allow for playing PS1 & PS2 games straight from the disk. Now I just need to find a decent controller so when my instructor starts rambling on about VB in our Math class I can kick back in the back of the room and play GTA :D
Posted on 2008-10-18 22:15:37 by Synfire
We celebrated my 27th birthday that Saturday. Was only supposed to be me and two friends, but things sorta escalated - more than 25 people "went through the party", and we managed to cram ~20 people in my 50m2 at one time.

At around 6am Sunday my neighbor almost kicked in my door, screamed and yelled and cursed and pushed me around and wouldn't listen to any kind of reasoning. OK, fair enough that Tool's Parabol+Parabola at 42'000dB is a bit stressful, but I don't get why you wait until 6 and go apeshit insane, instead of showing up some hours earlier and asking normally for the music to be turned down? People. *sigh*.
Attachments:
Posted on 2008-10-20 13:34:23 by f0dder

I got bored the other day and setup my laptop to allow for playing PS1 & PS2 games straight from the disk.

Now that sounds interesting.as far as the laptop goes, any idea of what the minimum specs are to run an PS emulator ? I have an older laptop thats why Im asking...
  Rags
Posted on 2008-10-20 17:55:18 by rags

We celebrated my 27th birthday that Saturday.

Your just a youngster Fodder :mrgreen:. I thought you were at least in your thirties. :lol:
Rags
Posted on 2008-10-20 17:57:35 by rags

We celebrated my 27th birthday that Saturday.

Your just a youngster Fodder :mrgreen:. I thought you were at least in your thirties. :lol:
Nah. But at least next year I'll be twice my mental age :)
Posted on 2008-10-20 18:21:31 by f0dder
f0dder,
sound like you got a real dick as a neighbor. TP his house. :p

I got bored the other day and setup my laptop to allow for playing PS1 & PS2 games straight from the disk.

Now that sounds interesting.as far as the laptop goes, any idea of what the minimum specs are to run an PS emulator ? I have an older laptop thats why Im asking...
   Rags

Not really sure, PS1 specs are pretty light, PS2 I would say at least a P4. SOME PS2 games run sluggish on my laptop (AMD Sempron 3500+, 512MB RAM w/ an ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 Gfx card). Although a most games run well enough, I wouldn't go much lower than what I've got for the PS2 stuff. One of my nephew's fighter games I tested out would play but it's like it keeps freezing ever single frame. But then again that game is made by some little off branch company anyways (another clone of the Tekken Series but made by some offbrand company).
Posted on 2008-10-20 23:44:56 by Synfire
Oh, there's a PS/2 emulator for x86 that works? :-O

I own 3 PS/2 games (ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari), but the PS/2 is my brothers'... being able to play those three games on my PC would be a bit cool, if I could find USB versions of the dualshock controller (katamari on a keyboard? no way :)).

Yeah, the neighbor is a dick. Good thing he didn't push me around more than he did, I had a bunch of friends sitting at the edge of their chairs ready to give him a clobbering. "TP"?
Posted on 2008-10-21 01:47:04 by f0dder
lol, he means toilet paper :D
Posted on 2008-10-21 02:43:14 by Homer

Rags

PS1: 450MHz cpu, 256MB RAM, Radeon9250.
PS2: it's almost sluggish on my C2D E4600 (2MB L2, 2x 2.4Ghz, auto-overclock to 3.0GHz), 1GB DDR2, SATA2 HDD, GeForce 8600GT. With audio enabled, it's hell - you hear clicks and pops and echos all the time. I waited for PCSX2 to become faster, but buying a real PS2 and second-hand games from eBay (at like $7/pop) turned-out a better and cheaper solution. No more annoying framedrops and jerky animations (which EVERY PC has, when not running an ancient game).
For a DualShock2<->USB converter, look for Xinga - it works perfectly for me, including force-feedback (something like $3 iirc). The adapter I had was the basis of a funny "cheat" I made: here and here
Posted on 2008-10-21 05:27:47 by Ultrano
The general rule of thumb for emulation is a 10:1 ratio on processing power between the host machine and the emulated system. This is assuming pure software emulation. This doesn't account for having comparable graphics hardware and RAM.

I think the original Playstation ran at around 30MHz. A 450MHz computer running Windows 98 should be plenty with a decent emulator.
Posted on 2008-10-21 19:21:25 by SpooK
My laptops cpu is a 2200+(?) Sempron with 512 Meg Ram and 20 gig HD.
Its like 4 or 5 years old now.
Rags
Posted on 2008-10-22 05:06:32 by rags
I think the original Playstation ran at around 30MHz.

Yup, CPU could execute ~30 mips and the GPU could execute 60 ~mips. It totaled to about ~200k textured and lit triangles / second. But lighting was very expensive so like 99% of all games used lightmaps.

A 450MHz computer running Windows 98 should be plenty with a decent emulator.

True. I've been able to successfully play a couple of PSX games on a Celeron 400 MHz, GF 256 (a.k.a "geforce one"). I guess it can be played even on a 300 MHz machine if the emulator uses hardware rendering on the host (direct 3d / opengl). PSX's hardware 3d support is kinda poor (but it was of course fantastic in its times). The CPU also had hardware H.261-like decompressor, so if you want to play the in-game movies smoothly the host machine must be able to decompress them quickly enough.

One more thing to know about PSX/PS2 emulation is to create the image of the CD/DVD on your HDD and run the game from it. CD/DVD drives in PSX/PS2 spin at much lower speeds so the discs don't wear out very fast if the game is reading lots of fragmented data. PC CD/DVD drives can massacre the disc in games that stream data on the fly or use some ingenious loaders.
Posted on 2008-10-22 10:12:37 by ti_mo_n
Ultrano,

Yea, I actually am using PCSX2 0.9.4 for the emulation, but it helps that I have Delta2 which has a CD dumping utility which allows me to run any games I play a lot off of disk to help increase play speed. As for framedrops and jerky animation... I've not noticed anything too bad really. Of course I don't do game programming so my eyes are tuned to watch for it (must be hell for you guys) :p
Posted on 2008-10-23 20:50:23 by Synfire
Ultrano:

Yeah that's something I also have to look into. I am developing for iPhone with Objective-C + CPP + C + ASM at the moment and it is really nice. Everything about is nice except for the fact that third party software can't have background processes and that's it. Everything else is nice.
Posted on 2008-10-24 10:25:55 by XCHG
Lightmaps have evolved to a relatively new thing called radiosity maps.
They are colored lightmaps which are generated through a lot of raytracing.
I think they make a lot of difference to an otherwise sterile scene.
Think of them as environmental reflections - they are a lot closer to real life because they are a simulation of the physics of light :thumbsup:
Posted on 2008-10-26 22:59:13 by Homer