thanx guys for your replies. pardon my use of the wrong microprocessor jargon. anyway to expound on what i posted earlier, am offering a microprocessor course and i was given this project of developing a microprocessor-based system for monitoring a car parking lot. so far what we have covered in class are 8086, z80 and 68k microprocessors. can any of these be used for my project? if there are other micro controllers i could use instead of these please inform me.  also i would prefer to use assembly language because it is what we are learning in class. i can give details of what i have in mind concerning how this system will work for someone who wants to help out.
Posted on 2008-11-04 01:55:37 by wagatyne
Any of those will do the job.
The others mentioned so far (PIC series, ARM series) are also viable.
But there's an option that has not been mentioned - a PLC or a PLA device.

A PLA (programmable logic array) is essentially a chip full of fuses that can be deliberately blown in order to program a logic.
A PLC (programmable logic controller) is almost the same thing, except that you are burning a program that a cpu can read and execute.
These chips are used for all kinds of industrial jobs, from automating machinery to filtering and routing packets, and are the cheapest option.
Posted on 2008-11-04 02:53:06 by Homer