Ok I will be the first to admit it, I have been very bad.....as it has been roughly a year since I have written any x86 code in assembly (not including specific patches for work related issues) -- all of my assembler code development has been for the H8 processor (although I still spend a huge amount of time debugging in x86 with both SoftIce and WinDbg).

With that off my chest, let me start the flaming by first saying that for my Win32Asm comeback I am switching assemblers from the Masmxxx world to NasmX and then follow that up with the very noobie question of:  What would be the recommended reading form someone, with too many years of x86 development / rev-eng  (on too many different processor to name) under their belt to count, to read through in-order-to make a complete transition to NasmX without all of the head scratching and hair pulling (I don't have much left to yank out) -- What I would give for the good old days of CP/M on the Commodor 64 when all  one needed was one book on Assembly and a application to enter the opcodes with (and of course the assembler was made available by the C64 magazine in the form of Hex opcodes itself) <or for that matter the Z80 processor of the Timex Sinclare>.

Thanks

Posted on 2009-03-02 00:34:31 by madprgmr
I would imagine anyone who has used MASM/MASM32 can easily adapt to NASM/NASMX.

Recommended reading: The NASM Manual, with emphasis on Chapters 3 & 4.

Combine the above with a few NASMX demos, sampling the use of invoke and the like, and I think you will be comfortable with the rest being up to your knowledge of x86 and the Win32 API.

As for the rest of your post, yeah, NASMX needs tutorials, or at least some useful documentation. It also needs more demos across the various x86 platforms as well as some general enhancements/refinements.

When will this be done? Well, I have been thinking about that a lot, lately. In these days of faster time-to-market pressures, V/HLL languages that turn you into a robot rather than a problem solver, and other ill-conceived methods that essentially turn your life into a complex and meaningless set of statistics... I rather miss the simple pleasure of working on stuff like NASMX. Yes, I realize the irony in that statement, but at least I would get to work on something meaningful :P

With that being said, I am going to take a hard look at my schedule, priorities, etc... and start to shed-off the less-important things that are not really providing a better overall return-on-investment. I don't plan on making any preemptive announcements, but I am going to revisit the various requests/suggestions/sample submitted over the last couple of years and come up with a plan to move NASMX forward.

PS: Sorry for taking your thread a bit off-topic ;)
Posted on 2009-03-02 15:24:16 by SpooK

I would imagine anyone who has used MASM/MASM32 can easily adapt to NASM/NASMX.

Recommended reading: The NASM Manual, with emphasis on Chapters 3 & 4.

Combine the above with a few NASMX demos, sampling the use of invoke and the like, and I think you will be comfortable with the rest being up to your knowledge of x86 and the Win32 API.

Thanks for the info and the link!  With all of the different compilers / assemblers / processors / levels that I program for I did not want to spend a great deal of time fighting syntax issues related to the switch from one assembler to another (I do that enough in my daily work).

When will this be done? Well, I have been thinking about that a lot, lately. In these days of faster time-to-market pressures, V/HLL languages that turn you into a robot rather than a problem solver, and other ill-conceived methods that essentially turn your life into a complex and meaningless set of statistics...

I can relate to that 100%  It seems that now a-days both the schools and the work environment are spitting out nothing but robots rather then problem solvers!

I rather miss the simple pleasure of working on stuff like NASMX. Yes, I realize the irony in that statement, but at least I would get to work on something meaningful :P

We are one in the same on that one!

With that being said, I am going to take a hard look at my schedule, priorities, etc... and start to shed-off the less-important things that are not really providing a better overall return-on-investment. I don't plan on making any preemptive announcements, but I am going to revisit the various requests/suggestions/sample submitted over the last couple of years and come up with a plan to move NASMX forward.

Well, if you need it I am sure that I can donate some hours and my skills to you for that.

PS: Sorry for taking your thread a bit off-topic ;)

No problem....I'll just take it out of your weekly paycheck :)

Have a good one.

-- Michael --
Posted on 2009-03-02 16:50:57 by madprgmr
I'm not going to comment since nasm can't do what I want.
It's not anyones fault, its just not what I need right now.
Or in future.
Posted on 2009-03-03 05:07:23 by Homer