As I don't have Facebook (I don't really want to display to the world the fact how short my friends list really is - social awkwardness, isn't that what an assembly programmer has to be) but still have the need to share my banter I decided to open this thread as my personal wall.

I'll post some random thought and people can comment, or not. Most of my thoughts don't really deserve a thread anyway but hey - maybe someone won't be able to handle themselves and banter here we come...

So, here it goes:

Jimmy watched Slumdog Millionaire a few days ago and liked it.

Jimmy applauds the UN for finally acknowledging genocide in Darfur.
Posted on 2009-03-06 19:39:59 by JimmyClif
Hehe, funny idea :)

So, is Slumdog Millionaire decent enough? Worth going to the cinema for?
Posted on 2009-03-07 12:44:21 by f0dder
Hi Jimmy. I don't think it's bad to have just a few people in your list in FaceBook. I started with 1-2 people and NOW I have like 3-4 friends. It takes time to beat me but don't worry about it, you will get there.
Posted on 2009-03-07 14:38:18 by XCHG
One can get a hundred "friends" in a list in a day. But then one will rarely chat with them all on one's volition, if ever.
A friend or two - who actively develop/research something interesting to you (even if it's not science-related) -  are enough.
Good search by specific interests is no more, on these new sites like facebook/myspace/blah/blah. Sites look more and more like a butcher's shop - choose by photo and physical attribs. It's disgusting. Once ICQ removed search-by-interest, the only alternative became forums. And there people don't specify interests, neither can you search on that >_>.
I've had hundreds of contacts in different IMs (as probably everyone else). The moment one party stops development on the common subjects for a few months, Contact->Remove.

It feels miserable when one doesn't have contacts (with which to share findings on dev/res), so my way out of it is to try helping online on forums :). Kinda hoping with a tiny opengl project I'll get some more gamedev contacts ^^.
Posted on 2009-03-07 16:00:42 by Ultrano
I've got a whole bunch of people on Facebook, but only people I've met in person. Not many of them are people I'd consider friends though, and most of them are people I don't communicate with very often. But it sure is convenient when planning events and the like :)
Posted on 2009-03-07 16:05:41 by f0dder

So, is Slumdog Millionaire decent enough? Worth going to the cinema for?

Yea, I had a great time... certainly not a movie like the others. makes me glad to not live in a 3rd world country.

I started with 1-2 people and NOW I have like 3-4 friends.

Whahahahaha :D At least you can conquer your fears ;)
Posted on 2009-03-07 19:28:31 by JimmyClif

Jimmy is playing around with C# inside Visual C# Express Edition and liking it. Ouch!!!
Posted on 2009-03-14 19:44:34 by JimmyClif
VS rules all other IDEs :) Especially VS2008
Posted on 2009-03-18 12:33:47 by XCHG

True, true :-)
Posted on 2009-03-18 15:20:07 by ti_mo_n

I wish VS2008 offered the same features for C++ that Eclipse does for Java, though... Visual Assist X offers some of the refactorings, but it feels a lot clunkier than eclipse.
Posted on 2009-03-18 19:15:37 by f0dder
Even the next VC is not coming with refactoring functionalities (it was on their PDC video). They are redoing the IntelliSense engine (using SQL Compact Engine mind you - what an overhead!), which will "lead" them to developing a refactoring engine. Described here: http://channel9.msdn.com/pdc2008/TL13/
Posted on 2009-03-18 19:34:52 by comrade
comrade: yeah, I read about that - a bit disappointing they're not adding refactorings, but it's nice they'll finally be using the same frontend for C++ and intellisense... ironing out bugs means more accurate intellisense, and they say they'll make it easy/easier for 3rd parties to hook into the database, allowing for stuff like nice & robust refactorings. We'll see how much overhead this means in real life...

f0dder is heading to bed for max 5 hours of sleep - meh.
Posted on 2009-03-18 19:43:38 by f0dder
Or we could create our own intellisense parser :P
It's a nice thing to optimize in asm, after the unlikely case of someone managing to parse C++ code.
Just a few days ago I tried my hands on it, it's very hard but not impossibly hard. Gave up only because it would take me too much time to finish. Imho only the preprocessor makes it harder than making intellisense for MASM (I've completed such a project), as in macros one can and will encapsulate brackets and declarations of variables.

MASM spoiled me. Fast text editing, fast compilation, fast intellisense. Now, even on an overclocked c2d E8500 @4.5GHz and 2GB DDR3@2GHz, code-typing (+use of intellisense) is not as fast as I want them.
Also
SomeProc(SomeEnum enum1);  // why wouldn't intellisense list SomeEnum's elements when I type the "(" ??  XD  
And why do private class-members have to clutter the completion-list when accessing from outside...
Posted on 2009-03-19 04:33:00 by Ultrano

I wish VS2008 offered the same features for C++ that Eclipse does for Java, though... Visual Assist X offers some of the refactorings, but it feels a lot clunkier than eclipse.

There is quite a bit of refactoring magic in VS2008, but it seems to be aimed mainly at C#/.NET
Posted on 2009-03-19 04:57:14 by Scali
C# .NET is some sweet stuff. How long did they have this "Opps, here's a division by zero - fix the source code - and we keep on running with it as if it had been there all along" feature?
Posted on 2009-03-24 21:09:18 by JimmyClif
Oh and to get back on plan:

I saw Twilight - and as far as I am concerned it didn't live up to the hype people kept telling me about. As a matter of fact I found it to be rather boring.
Posted on 2009-03-24 21:11:45 by JimmyClif

C# .NET is some sweet stuff. How long did they have this "Opps, here's a division by zero - fix the source code - and we keep on running with it as if it had been there all along" feature?
Is this such a good idea? If a div-by-zero happens, something is generally "pretty darn wrong", and it might actually be better having your application crash?
Posted on 2009-03-24 21:12:41 by f0dder

Is this such a good idea? If a div-by-zero happens, something is generally "pretty darn wrong", and it might actually be better having your application crash?

I meant it in more in the general term of on the fly bug fixing - it doesn't have to be a divide by zero. First time I experienced it I forgot to remove the *.* in an openfiledialog and upon opening a text file which was supposed to be an image it crashed. I fixed the code and it kept on happily running as if nothing had happened with the new course of action.
Posted on 2009-03-25 07:11:34 by JimmyClif
That first was in Delphi and Borland products I think. I remember in VB6 or VC++ 6.0 you got fatal application crashes if you were doing silly stuff like this but Delphi was creating built-in dialogs showing that an error has happened. Pretty neat but it never ignores the errors.
Posted on 2009-03-25 07:47:19 by XCHG
I think he's referring to the edit-and-continue functionality... You can edit your code and even manually change the value of variables in memory, and then continue running your code.
I think it's been in C# since the first version. It's also available in C++, but it doesn't work as well... eg, sometimes it will tell you it can't continue and has to restart the debugging session.
Posted on 2009-03-25 09:36:45 by Scali