Hey there, I was wondering if someone could point me the way to "real mode" programming on an Intel chip. Actually what I wanted was to have acess to privileged instructions (like debug registers and descriptor tables) is there a way to do it? maybe a book on the subject (something on bios or driver programming) ? I'm into electronics lately and I would love to know how to do something silly like turning on and off some pins on a parallel port so I could control some stuff on the protoboard \o,
Posted on 2009-04-05 20:25:04 by Melanikus
Modern CPUs use protocols like HyperTransport and/or QuickPath which are way too fast and complicated for hobbyist projects. I suggest using a Microcontroller for electronics stuff. Atmel's AVR and/or ARM are the way to go :)

On the other hand, if what you want to do is just setting on/off some COM/LPT pins on your PC then you don't need to do any low-level programming. Accessing these ports is quite easy via WinAPI. There are many C/C++ examples on this subject.
Posted on 2009-04-05 21:40:50 by ti_mo_n
I'm starting on microcontroller programming but what I want is bios programming/privileged instructions (even if emmulated)
Posted on 2009-04-07 16:25:13 by Melanikus
See this thread.
Posted on 2009-04-07 17:12:19 by SpooK