Hey there, I was looking for a hex viewer with a certain feature, most (all?) hex viewers display an adress step - the hex values - char representation of hex values, what I wanted to do is to be able to select groups of bytes and interpret them as a specific format (int, double, float , char, wide char, signed/unsinged short, so on) do you guys know any hex editor with such features?

I know this is not ASM but it's related, I want this to reverse binary image/3d formats
Posted on 2009-04-19 10:10:46 by Melanikus
http://www.sweetscape.com/010editor/
Posted on 2009-04-19 14:11:54 by TasmDev
HexWorkshop has that and a View Bytes a Struct feature... Also shareware though.
Posted on 2009-04-19 20:23:05 by JimmyClif
http://www.catch22.net/content/hexedit-20
Posted on 2009-04-20 01:07:56 by lone_samurai5
Oh well... Looked for some floats that looked like vertices using Hex Proble (stuff between 10 and 0.001) and printed them in OpenGL now I'm thinking about making a more powerful tool like, you print all the file as struct{float x,y,z;}; and then you pick with the mouse the ones you think are vertices (usually the garbage is quite easy to see) then make an offset control (end/start) for vertices,normals,texcoords,faceindex so on.
Another "feature" I'm thinking is to be able to connect vertices to make a triangle, then look for the occurrence of that triangle in the file (as struct{int,int,int};)  and from there you can put the end/start offsets until you "match" the model, also do the same for normals (use cross product and normalize to find occurrences of a certain group of faces) and texture (get original textures on the model and hope to match it) so on ^_^

By the way, this is supposed to be an elven helmet from a game called Sacred 2: Fallen Angel which has an undocumented 3d file format with the extension .GR2 the plan is to find the file's structure to write a importer/exporter in MaxScript or MelScript
Posted on 2009-04-26 11:37:42 by Melanikus
Hum, I thought it looked like some kind of "Monster-Head" :)
Posted on 2009-04-26 12:53:55 by JimmyClif