I wonder, when people put their problems here to get some help by other coders.
Seems that there are some differences in peoples behavior.
(excluding the heap section)
Posted on 2002-01-14 04:18:02 by beaster
Well, I often post to help others, I guess. And in other circumstances
that aren't related to me not being able to figure something out :).

But if I have problems, I generally try researching things first (or
post for advice, then continue researching, and perhaps end up
solving the problem myself before anybody replies ;)).

I believe that researching stuff (and more than 5 minutes) before
posting for help is a good thing. And that helping with "Pseudocode"
or descriptions is better than posting a whole code snippet, as having
to do a little work helps in understanding. Some of the fancy optimized
stuff by bitrake, svin, and eoin (and others?) is a different matter, though.

Well well, just a few thoughts.
Posted on 2002-01-14 04:25:54 by f0dder
Well, I only post if I can't find out myself.
I often post replies to questions, even if I am not absolutly shure. I can do this only because fOdder is watching over me and is correcting me if I am wrong. :alright:

KetilO
Posted on 2002-01-14 06:10:16 by KetilO
Afternoon, All.

hrrmm. I chose "never, I dont need any help", even though that's not exactly true.;)
I'm usually pounding my head against the wall before I ask a question.

I usually spend *hours/days* trying to solve a difficult (for me) problem. Then I ask a question (either by posting a message, PM, or by email). After that, I usually figure out the problem before anyone gets a chance to reply.:grin:

It seems that by typing the problem out, it helps to get some part of the brain going on working out the solution. Kind of like waking up in the middle of the night - and finally remembering someones name who you were thinking about earlier in the day.

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2002-01-14 07:28:27 by Scronty
Sometimes the head smashing comes early - sometimes later. ;)
Posted on 2002-01-14 10:33:45 by bitRAKE
Actually, i don't like to smash my head in the wall, but just before beggining with such an extraordinary excercise, i post. :grin:
Posted on 2002-01-14 18:56:26 by CodeLover
I don't bang my head on the wall. If I were to bang my head on the wall, I would lose a few brain cells (or worse things), which would cause more programming problems which would lead to more banging which would lead to more problems which would lead to continual banging and problems and that wouldn't solve any problems, would it?

lol :grin:
Posted on 2002-01-14 19:41:52 by Hel
Well, I've posted a few questions, after putzing around with something for a while. But I'm new only to the Win32 part, I've been an x86 guy since about 1985, and a big iron asm guy since 1970. So I guess I'm in the "helps out" category... :grin: :o :)
Posted on 2002-01-14 21:54:55 by S/390
For me it is a pleasure to communicate with creative people.
It doesn?t matter if they are experience programmers of beginners since they try to figure out their own way or UNDERSTAND others. Others are ?USERS? though they may compile something they would call ?their? programms. They ways of ?USERS? and ?CREATERS? differ mostly not on talent but on approach and professional position. It?s lame excuse when they say, ? I don?t do it ?cause I?m not good in it?. Anything you understand you do it for the first time for yourself though ?the wheel was invented? you invent it again even when just learning methods of the others.
So I post mostly to provoke discussion, for sharing and analyzing ideas.
BTW I don?t like when it called just ?optimization? ? ?cause optimization is just a part (though it is important part) of invention. Optimization means that you already have idea and you are on the way of refining it, and often things called ?optimization? are not optimizations but a new way to do it. New algo. New ideas may come even to very beginner if he has independent way of thinking and in passion to discover something new.
And I hate words ?optimization tricks?. Tricks for clowns. They are things nobody can understand since when it is understood it is not a trick anymore ? it is knowledge.
We aren?t doing tricks here ? we are giving life to machines.
Some time our children are cripple, sometime ? beauty.
Posted on 2002-01-14 22:57:42 by The Svin
I Agree totaly with Svin. I like the variety of questions, because most often they ask about something i might know something about, but never looked at it in "that" sorta way. For me this is learning, and i enjoy the conversations that arise in the process.

:alright:
NaN
Posted on 2002-01-14 23:07:38 by NaN

I don't bang my head on the wall. If I were to bang my head on the wall, I would lose a few brain cells (or worse things), which would cause more programming problems which would lead to more banging which would lead to more problems which would lead to continual banging and problems and that wouldn't solve any problems, would it?

Hel, can you think all that when you are inside the anger of not writing your code as you should?? :grin:
Posted on 2002-01-15 17:09:36 by CodeLover