Hi. :D

Is there such a thing as an online code converter that converts between different assembly languages ?

Q
Posted on 2009-05-20 13:34:12 by quddusaliquddus
Hi,

You can't just find a utility that does that for you for various reasons one of which being that the "tool" can't really determine if your code is 16 bits or 32 bits and under what platform you are assembling and linking. The good news is that the syntax of TASM is very similar to MASM so you can't go wrong there. Just try to do it yourself or read about the differences between the syntax, online.
Posted on 2009-05-20 16:50:39 by XCHG
I downloaded Turbo C++ when I found out that it includes tasm ... but i cant seem to locate it within the IDE.
Posted on 2009-05-20 18:34:12 by quddusaliquddus
tasm.exe is in the bin folder where you installed Turbo C++. You can also use inline assembly.
Posted on 2009-05-20 19:38:52 by XCHG
Thanks XCHG.

Unfortunately it runs and closes immediately.

BTW Is it possible to use inline assembly with VB.NET?
Posted on 2009-05-20 21:29:54 by quddusaliquddus
Dude, you seriously have got to start behaving like someone who wants to learn. You ask questions for every little stupid thing, people will just ignore you at this rate.
Posted on 2009-05-20 22:08:57 by ChaperonNoir

Thanks XCHG.

Unfortunately it runs and closes immediately.

TASM.exe is a command line utility and such utilities will exit when their task is done. You have to open them through CMD. Go to start menu. Then to Run and type CMD and then press enter. When you are in command prompt (black screen) use the CD command (Change Directory) to move to the directory where TASK is. Imagine when you run CMD from start menu it shows that you are in here:

C:\>Users\Alex\Desktop\

And TASM could be here:

D:>Program Files\BorlandCPP\bin\

Then you have to write this in command prompt:

D: (press enter after here)
CD "Program Files/BorlandCPP/bin" (Press enter here)
tasm.exe (press enter here)

That will execute tasm for you and will leave the command prompt open once TASM is done.

And you can't use Inline Assembly in VB.NET as far as I know.
Posted on 2009-05-21 03:42:36 by XCHG
You're right ChaperonNoir. I would not be asking every little question if I didnt have other things to do - believe me. Once I have everything setup - Ill stop asking so many questinons and get on with learning the language. I do appreciate the help I've recieved on this forum. Thanks everyone.
Posted on 2009-05-21 14:38:23 by quddusaliquddus

The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

:roll:
Posted on 2009-05-21 16:33:28 by JimmyClif
very good!!!
Posted on 2009-05-29 22:24:26 by speedboy

No. It is, however, possible to write a DLL of procedures in assembly then use them from your VB.NET program. VB.NET has the <DllImport()> option which allows you to specify external DLL's to be used within your program. For example. Say you have created a DLL named "my_procs.dll" and that DLL exports a procedure named 'Hello'. You could access that procedure within VB.NET like this:

Public Class MyProcs
    <DllImport("my_procs.dll")> _
    Public Shared Function _
        Hello(ByVal lpszPlainText As String) As Int32
    End Function
End Class

Int32 is the size of EAX so we want to set our return value as an Int32 specifically in case of any return values. Arguments are passed to the procedure as normal using the STDCALL calling convention. So now, anytime we want to access our procedure within our VB.NET program we just make a call to MyProcs.Hello(). You can define all of the exported procedures you are going to use within the MyProcs class to keep them organized.

Now, honestly I don't know of a legitimate use for this. I have speculated that it could be used for optimizing math routines for some .NET calculators or odd things like that, but if you were going to that extreme why not just code it in native code and forget .NET all together? I just don't see it being really useful.
Posted on 2009-06-01 23:47:32 by Synfire