Hi Im an aspiring OS developer, btw if Japheth uses this forum WOW!!! I can't seem to find anything relating to OS Development in this forum, I'm going to have a pop at reverse engineering some Linux Drivers to run from bootloader in real-mode and p-mode just wondered if anyone has any examples relating to this (I know I wont be accelerating my Nvidia any time soon btw)
Posted on 2009-06-04 14:44:20 by loui1986
I think that most of us are M$ asmers like you say  :lol:
There's also the FASM forum for OS construction you might want to check out
http://board.flatassembler.net/forum.php?f=11
Posted on 2009-06-04 16:35:54 by ChaperonNoir
there are also forums on www.osdev.org
Posted on 2009-06-04 17:52:16 by comrade

Hi Im an aspiring OS developer, btw if Japheth uses this forum WOW!!! I can't seem to find anything relating to OS Development in this forum, I'm going to have a pop at reverse engineering some Linux Drivers to run from bootloader in real-mode and p-mode just wondered if anyone has any examples relating to this (I know I wont be accelerating my Nvidia any time soon btw)

To my knowledge there aren't any projects like that going on. Though there are several people on the board who have developed hobby OS's in the past, or are currently working on their own OS projects. If you have any questions I would suggest asking them in the Low Level Concepts forum.

Also, if you look at the bottom of the list of forums you'll notice the DynatOS section, it's a steadily growing 64-bit OS designed by the Administrator of the ASM community, you might want to check it out if you plan on getting into 64-bit stuff.

We do have an Operating Systems section in our ASM Book, available from the top menu, but it's really scarce for information as working on the ASM Book has been low on the priority list for most of us lately. :oops:
Posted on 2009-06-04 21:17:11 by Synfire
Thanks to everyone for your answers, I am an active member on OSDev and am contributing to a project right now for them as well as my own hobby'ist OS, maybe I could help with the OS Development series here if someone would PM me with details on how to get involved, this forum seems much friendlier than OSDev which I like, I also like your own Macro collection and will soon be contributing my own focusing on using devices at low level (Both Generic Devices and Specific Hardware)
Posted on 2009-06-05 00:42:07 by loui1986
Hobby OS. It's really saddening to see how many of them get abandoned every year!
Posted on 2009-06-05 07:37:04 by XCHG

Thanks to everyone for your answers, I am an active member on OSDev and am contributing to a project right now for them as well as my own hobby'ist OS, maybe I could help with the OS Development series here if someone would PM me with details on how to get involved, this forum seems much friendlier than OSDev which I like, I also like your own Macro collection and will soon be contributing my own focusing on using devices at low level (Both Generic Devices and Specific Hardware)

At the same time, OSDev.org is much more active and thus they get that many more repeat questions.

Between their forums and the wiki, which originated from MegaTokyo/OSFAQ(2), you'd be hard pressed not to find what you need, even if most isn't ASM-specific.

As for our OS Development guide, that was started by me. You will actually see a few familiar paragraphs that also ended up in the OSDev.org Wiki.

Between an decreasing availability of "free" time, and a lack of genuine/original purpose, I stopped working on our version... quite some time ago.

One of the struggles was whether to be general or ASM-specific. I started with being ASM-specific, but decided to move toward being more general. However, and as previously stated, I couldn't find a reason to continue that route.

Being general/generic is already covered well by OSDev.org, so any pick-up of our version should probably lean toward being ASM-specific... even if only for the reason that this place is ASMCommunity.Net. My thought behind that is not "ASM elitism", but purpose, as people come here for a specific reason... Assembly Language.

Currently, and IIRC, only Community Staff and "Code Warriors" can edit the ASM Book. "Code Warriors" is a post count based designation; after 100 posts, you are automatically apart of that group. The thought behind that is if there are people contributing that much, they can probably be trusted to edit the Book.

If there are people who are serious about contributing to the Book, I can come up with another specialized group upon request.
Posted on 2009-06-05 20:10:28 by SpooK