I have decided that I am more interested in Game Development now than before so I want to purchase two good books, one related to game development maths and another for physics. Anybody has any favorites and if yes, what is good about that book?
Posted on 2009-06-05 06:34:55 by XCHG
When you say "game development maths", what do you mean exactly?
You want a math book that deals with topics that are used in game development?
In that case, well, the most important thing would be some basic linear algebra. Knowing the basics of matrix and vector calculations, inversions of matrices, homogenous coordinates, rotations etc. The first few chapters of David C. Lay's "Linear Algebra and its applications" are quite good for that, imho.

Or if you want more 'applied mathematics', check the DirectX SDK. Microsoft bothered to explain the basic math behind most of their D3D/D3DX functions. They explain how they build up their transformation matrices, how the basic lighting functions work, frustums, viewports etc. I 'borrowed' some of their stuff when I wrote my own Java software engine a few years back. I also use it from time to time when writing my own shaders.

A bit of numerical mathematics (approximation, integration, differentiation etc) may come in handy aswell.
Posted on 2009-06-05 08:44:13 by Scali
When I set out to write my physics engine, I immersed myself in sourcecode for existing engines. This turned out to be very worthwhile, because I was able to understand some of the more advanced mathematics used to speed up the calculations (for example, extracting 'new' angular velocity from the inertia tensor via a skew-symmetric matrix).
There is absolutely no way I would have learned these techniques by reading from a dry old maths book - I needed to see them being applied to solve an actual problem in order to appreciate their relative worth.
Posted on 2009-06-05 22:42:01 by Homer
I have a lot of respect for that Homer. I would study in the same way If I was into the video game field. However, I'm not really comfortable with geometry so i don't  :lol:
Posted on 2009-06-06 00:46:44 by ChaperonNoir
I would recommend studying the C4 Engine Documentation and Source. It is a one-man project/engine in the way I think would make Homer proud, despite being written in C++ :P

The C4 Engine Architecture chart provides a pretty decent overview.
Posted on 2009-06-06 12:10:16 by SpooK
if you know trig & basic linear algebra then I would go with recommend diving into an existing game engine if you have the balls :D.

Otherwise my favourite books on the subject are:
Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications, Second Edition: A Programmer's Guide
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Mathematics-Interactive-Applications-Second/dp/0123742978/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244457401&sr=8-1

and maybe Real-Time Collision Detection if you're really serious
http://www.amazon.com/Real-Time-Collision-Detection-Interactive-Technology/dp/1558607323/ref=pd_sim_b_2
Posted on 2009-06-08 05:39:29 by d0d0