hello all! . i have seen that there is a thread already discuss those issue but its out of date
i'm interesting in buying a laptop
which my main things

1.size - easy to go around anywhere so screen should not be more than 12''
2.keyboard - even with small computer i would lke to have full size keyboard, or at least near it so i could write easly
3.battery - long life battery
4.computer for programming and documents
5.internet access of course
6.blue tooth

anyideas ?

thanks in advance

Posted on 2009-06-07 06:25:56 by eko
I go everywhere with my 17 inch. Do you realize that even with your <12 inch you have to bring a powercord , a mouse and other things. You'll need a bag anyway. My sister has the macbook and it's a decent machine, you might want to check it out.
Posted on 2009-06-07 09:59:35 by ChaperonNoir
How about a UMPC with foldable/rollable keyboard?
Posted on 2009-06-07 12:04:48 by Ultrano
I have an Acer One 10" that I use when I go to the campus. It currently runs GNU/Linux but originally came with Windows XP Professional SP3. It has an 802.11g wireless card and a bluetooth card. The keyboard is smaller than normal but the keys are interestingly enough, slightly larger than normal (they combined a lot of the keys using the Fn key sequence allowing them optimal use for space). All in all it's a really good system, really light-weight and can easily be carried (open and in use) in the palm of your hand. I get about 3 1/2 hours of actual battery life even though it claims a 4 hour battery, there are upgrade batter packs though, I just use the one which came with it.

There are some downsides... the lack of a CD/DVD drive makes installing software a pain, network installations or converting all of your installs over to USB Flash disk is a good idea but cumbersome. Acer also puts a whole lot of their "Acer Advantage" software on there which really slows everything down and for the most part it could have done without. What makes it worse is, the security settings have you as a user that can't delete the software and you aren't able to reboot into safe mode. The trick to this is to manually edit the BOOT.INI file, reboot the computer into safe mode, remove the acer advantage software and clean up the system how you want, then reset the BOOT.INI file, and reboot back into the standard user. It's a real pain but it's actually kinda cool how the system locks you out of administration to protect you from totally trashing the laptop. Another down-side is if you decide to install Linux the driver support for your wireless card isn't really good and bluetooth support just isn't there at all. For me to use my wireless card, each time I shutdown my laptop I have to make sure I disable the Madwifi driver. Otherwise, on the next reboot the drivers won't be detected. . o ( I should probably script that into the shutdown process... )

But depending on what you are planning on using it for, it's a really good system. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe another one with a better wireless card). XD
Posted on 2009-06-07 15:55:56 by Synfire
really light-weight and can easily be carried (open and in use) in the palm of your hand

This is obviously the real LUXURY of small devices.
Posted on 2009-06-07 16:52:18 by ChaperonNoir
Get a Dell laptop. Maybe an Inspiron Dell laptop. Do NOT buy a Mac laptop. They are unnecessarily expensive. Not that good at all to be honest (unlike some other Macs). Get 2 batteries. One on the laptop and buy an extra battery just in case the first battery dies. Go to dell.com or dell.co.uk and customize the laptop for yourself. Lots of choices there.
Posted on 2009-06-07 18:17:51 by XCHG
I have a 650 $ HP Laptop and I do everything with it  :)
Inexpensive laptops today have 4 gig of ram so you're getting a good programming laptop from any brand easily  8)
Posted on 2009-06-07 19:26:57 by ChaperonNoir
thanks for reply
for me i still think there is a big diffrence to carry "big" laptop to a really small one , size does make a difference

i saw "HP Pavilion TX2620EJ CJ981EA" - looks good first look and relative small comparing others
but has a "AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82" cpu which i don't really familiar with

"Asus Eee PC 1000HE"
"HP Compaq Mini 700EI NG638EA"
saw also two notebook . but does the Atom cpu strong enough?

Posted on 2009-06-07 20:50:52 by eko
To be honest, don't make a bloated OS and application suite. Just get a normal laptop (even a 1.83 GHZ) CPU Core Duo or Core 2 Duo will do. I have a Dell Latitude D620 with 1.83 GHZ Intel Core Duo CPU and only 512 MB of RAM but still it does what it is supposed to. You will see it slowly dying if you put too many applciations on it and try to run, say, Autodesk 3DSMax 2009 but to be honest, it is great if you are purchasing it solely for development purposes.

For example, Dell Inspiron 13 is a good choice starting at 499 bucks.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dncwwa1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=laptop-inspiron-13

Or if you are in the UK, go to dell.co.uk of course.
Posted on 2009-06-08 04:16:49 by XCHG
I saw a commercial for some kind of mini-laptop by verizon? which has XP as OS and probably not a lot of power, but it should be enough to do any kind of surfing easily. It appeared to be about 15x10x2 inches in size...
Posted on 2009-06-14 20:03:03 by JimmyClif

pandora anyone? :)
Size has _nothing_to do with any other UMPC.

http://openpandora.org/

linux only, but...

ARM, GPU, 800*480, touchscreen, wifi, BT, usb, sdhc, keyboard and game controls.
Quake 1-2-3. :p

And 10 hours of battery life! wtf.

...when it's done :D
Posted on 2009-06-28 14:59:01 by HeLLoWorld
Ooooh Linux on a laptop, hmmmm. Ouch, argh!!!
Posted on 2009-07-01 05:28:27 by XCHG

Get a Dell laptop. Maybe an Inspiron Dell laptop. Do NOT buy a Mac laptop. They are unnecessarily expensive. Not that good at all to be honest (unlike some other Macs). Get 2 batteries. One on the laptop and buy an extra battery just in case the first battery dies. Go to dell.com or dell.co.uk and customize the laptop for yourself. Lots of choices there.

Good pick; I work w/ latitude (505, 510 or 600) series laptops w/14 screen and they incorporate a removable hard drive bay (2 screws) so I can run any different Win32 OS, Linux, BSD or dual boot configuration as the job requires. We have a vendor in the city here that sells these units for 300 to 500 buck depending on what your look for. Myself, I buy the cheapest one they have and when a hardware problem pops up trash it and grab another solider.
Posted on 2009-08-05 04:52:24 by losser
Thus the term "consumer electronics" :)
Posted on 2009-08-05 16:55:21 by Homer
I have an Asus N10J

http://www.amazon.com/N10J-A1-10-2-Inch-Laptop-Processor-Premium/dp/B001F83YC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249589295&sr=8-1

10.2" WSVGA Screen
1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor
2 GB RAM
320 GB Hard Drive
NVidia 9300M 256MB
Intel 945GSE Chipset with Integrated GFX (Switch to toggle between integrated gfx & dedicated Nvidia card)
Vista Business + XP Professional Downgrade CD (Pre-Installed with Vista)
Wifi
Lan
Bluetooth
USB ports
PCI Express slot
VGA
HDMI
8 in 1 card reader slot
and keyboard is a decent size as well
Also my one came with a small external DVD drive - but not all vendors supply this

The atom processor is overclockable, and ive got mine up to 2ghz to run games mainly

Its a pretty solid and packed little netbook

Here is the tech spec: http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=2515&l1=5&l2=64&l3=833&l4=0
Posted on 2009-08-06 15:10:09 by keithsrobertson