umm what is the difference in 8086 emulator and assembler (i.e. tasm,masm)the link in that emulator is here http://www.emu8086.com/.. which is more sophisticated? what is there differences? thanks.. i know that is a noob question but i would like to know there functions and the field where they are expert. thanks..
Posted on 2009-06-30 18:44:54 by web4
An emulator executes binary instructions in software the way a specific hardware-system does.
An assembler takes sourcecode and produces object-files, which are almost-ready binary blobs with symbols that are to be imported and exported.
A linker takes many object-files and produces a binary file by linking together the relevant binary blobs according to their necessary symbols. That resulting binary file (.exe, .dll, .com ) is in a suitable format with sections that an OS can initialize and start a process with.

An emulator is simpler to make than a modern assembler. A modern emulator, though, can be accelerated 10-fold if it uses dynamic recompilation, which would make that emulator more complex than an assembler.
Simple assemblers and emulators are easy to make, but generally inconvenient/limited in use.
Posted on 2009-06-30 21:38:30 by Ultrano
ummmmm so basically there are the same? it is just the emulator are simple to use than assembler? is my comprehension correct about your answer? thanks
Posted on 2009-07-01 04:48:12 by web4
In short, emulators are for running code, assemblers are for producing code.
Posted on 2009-07-01 05:08:25 by Scali

ummmmm so basically there are the same? it is just the emulator are simple to use than assembler? is my comprehension correct about your answer? thanks

wow. I think I have to archive this for my children and grandchildren to see.
Posted on 2009-07-01 07:12:28 by Ultrano
You even took the time to write a proper answer, Ultrano  :P
Next time, don't bother. Just tell 'em that the emulator's slower  :lol:
Posted on 2009-07-01 17:12:46 by ChaperonNoir
sorry about that...i am a complete noob in asm language. just curious. umm also it's because i'm 14 yr.old boy.
Posted on 2009-07-01 17:15:20 by web4
At 14 I was spending my days outside playing :)
Or for the bad days there were computer games too (Warcraft 3).

It's nice that you come to an assembly language forum at 14 years old. There are people that should have come here a long time ago and they are 38+ years old now  :P
Posted on 2009-07-01 17:20:30 by ChaperonNoir
A real computer -> run assembler-> product a file with binary code named A
A real computer -> read A and run it
A real computer -> run 8086 emulator -> read A and run it privately
Posted on 2009-08-07 11:53:01 by asmdna