New to ASM community, new to this forum.
A beginner seeking direction to learn assembly. ; X86-32 ; tasm32/tlink32.

i was able to call the api createFileA() and create the exe file that could  confirm the success of the execution with a message on Message Box.

What i need is some basic explanation to the parameters that i had blindly pushed to the stack, before calling the function.

In win32 help file:
LPCTSTR  lpFileName,       // address of name of the file
DWORD  dwDesiredAccess, // access (read-write) mode.

Let me take this dwDesiredAccess, to point out my doubt. Below this dwDesiredAccess, it is mentioned again:
Both GENERIC_READ and GENERIC_WRITE must be set to obtain read-write access:

Value                Meaning

0                    Allows an application to query device attributes 
                      without actually accessing the device.

GENERIC_READ  specifies read access to the file. Data can be
                      read from the file and the file pointer can be moved.

What i need a simple explanation to each of the following terms and expressions in the context as it appears below:

DWORD  dwDesiredAccess  GENERIC_READ  equ  80000000h.

iam not sure, if i was able to make myself clear at all , may be those who are familiar with the terms could be able to understand it easily and would be able to clear this part of my uncertainty.

thank you.
Posted on 2009-07-08 02:28:43 by hell0
That's how microsoft defined their constant. You have to ask them if you want to find out the meaning behind the constants.
Posted on 2009-07-08 09:00:23 by roticv
most of it is documented and explained on msdn.. have you checked?
Posted on 2009-07-09 03:15:37 by evlncrn8
It just means that you have to push GENERIC_READ (which is defined as "80000000" hex) if you want, well, generic read access. The actual value was made up by some Microsoft employee a long time ago so don't ask why it's 80000000 and not 32874adc.
Posted on 2009-07-10 19:16:42 by ti_mo_n
ti_mo_n 

well, iam beginning to get the idea.

thank you
Posted on 2009-07-10 22:08:54 by hell0