I have a Technical Interview on Monday and I got ahold of the questions beforehand (whoohoo) - A lot of them are easy but with some I can't find the answer or I am unsure about it. Could you guys give me some input on this one:

* A few ways to look for e_rrors on Windows XP?
> What besides Event Viewer could they mean?

/misc: Mispelled e_rrors as I don't want the "man" to find his questions on the board by direct google search :)
Posted on 2009-07-11 10:23:40 by JimmyClif
What kind of e_rrors do you mean? Application e_rrors? System e_rrors? e_rrors in API return values?
Posted on 2009-07-11 12:34:46 by ti_mo_n
I don't know, the question on the paper is as vague as I wrote it. Maybe it's a trick question asking me to ask what kind of errors they referring to? It's for a position as Network Tech :)

First thing I thought about was "Ah, they want Event Viewer" but then I saw that they want a "few different ways"...
Posted on 2009-07-11 12:39:02 by JimmyClif
So you can elaborate here. Explain there are many kinds of errors. Explain how we can view them. On XP you have ping and telnet which can help you find network problems. I don't know what they would want to hear. Very general questions lead to very general answers. I hope they know that.
Posted on 2009-07-11 12:44:25 by ti_mo_n
At some point rhyme off a bunch of utilities you're already well familiar with, categorized by what type of e_rror you might use them for.  Everything from WireShark to the Sysinternal utils you'd use for digging a bit deeper - Process Explorer, VMMap, TcpView, DbgView, etc.

Good luck ;)
Posted on 2009-07-11 18:03:40 by Kayaker
The SysInternals apps are a great start. Especially RegMon : you can see the errors, and I had experience fixing a bad MSN installation that way.
Posted on 2009-07-11 18:07:18 by Ultrano
nmap can be a useful analysis tool as well, even outside of the realm of network security.

One of the keys to appropriate troubleshooting is to eliminate all assumptions by gathering exact information. Trust, but verify any "well, it started doing this..." type statements from non-technical and technical people alike. Dig into them deeper for more precise feedback. If a problem has been reassigned to you, try to verify/reconfirm all previous data/results from the other technicians involved, no matter how seemingly mundane/insignificant.

Another key is to split the problem domain in half, if and when possible, e.g. is it server side or client side.

Other than that, I think Kayaker nailed it. They are probably looking to test your knowledge base, now is the time to impress them with how much you know about various problems, the means in which you can identify them, and their solutions. However, and even though this particular type of question is a bit open-ended, don't go overkill as too much information can be a turn-off. Ensure you are given a direct question, and give direct answers.

I will also offer some more information, from personal knowledge/experience.

Misc. Tips:
-For the future (crosses fingers) keep the resume to 1 page... 2 pages at most. Most places have to go through many many resumes, makes yours easy enough to view at a glance so it can catch their attention.
-If you made it past the resume screening, and are at the interview stage, then they are fairly sure that you meet the requirements... now it is time to discuss everything else! Most interviews are a test to see what you are beyond a piece of paper... so just relax and be honest/open/sincere.
-Suit and tie, if you really want the job.
-Shave (unless you are sporting a managed beard) and make sure all other hair is in reasonable order.
-Get enough sleep, look alert and not tired.
-Smell fresh/clean, but don't trigger anyone's olfactory with too much cologne, etc... it is the most sensitive/distracting/associative of the senses.
-Firm handshake, but not overbearing. If you are getting nervous, tactfully wipe your hand down the side of your pant leg before entering the interview in order to avoid throwing them off with sweaty palms.
-Be confident, but not cocky or over-talkative.
-Smile sincerely, when appropriate (e.g. when something is of particular interest)... but don't go looking like an emo either.
-Speak clearly, do not use slang, do not curse/swear/use fowl language, do not use acronyms without confirming that the interviewer knows them.
-Keep your feet flat on the floor.
-Do not jitter/cross/shake any parts of your body, e.g. nervously shaking a foot, get a portfolio/binder and lay it across your lap to help keep your hands and feet stationary.
-Sit up, do not slouch, but don't look like a statue either.
-Don't scratch parts of your body, bite your nails, lick your lips, look away, etc... but it is OK to do a "thinking" look; looking to the right indicates genuine thought, looking to the left indicates fabrication/lies
-Use non-verbal communication, e.g. hand motions, but keep it within reason... imagine that you are surrounded by a force-field that is 3-feet out on all sides.
-If you need time to think about a question, ask them politely to allow you time, and keep it under 30 seconds.
-If you can't come up with an answer, assure them that you know where to look for one (advertise this place :P)
-If you don't know, say you don't know... don't BS them.
-Maintain attentive, but comfortable, eye contact.
-Ask permission to take notes, and then take them if offered.
-If they ask you what your weaknesses are, give them one, make it harmless, and tell how you are improving on it or how it is strength in disguise, e.g. "I'm not the greatest at interviews, but it is mainly due to having steady and long-term jobs over the years."
-It is OK to inquire as to where you would be working (and if they can show you) or the general environment (people/tools/policies/etc...)
-Don't ask about salary or benefits, if they want you, they will bring it up.
-Always make it about what you can offer them, fore-go what they can offer you... since the paycheck and benefits should be enough at most modern companies.
-Always have post-interview questions. Filter through your notes for questions. Also, read up on something fairly important to the company... a project, the services they offer, etc... and ask them about it. I personally recommend coming in with a set of questions printed out on paper with room to jot down notes/answers (see below)
-MOST IMPORTANT: FOLLOW THROUGH!!!!! e.g. "This position and your company sounds very appealing to me, and I am confident in what I bring to the table... what's the next step?"
-Leave a hand-signed "Thank You" card with the secretary, for the interviewers, on your way out of the interview/building.
-Don't call them... they will call you... but if they actually say that then they probably won't call you :P

Misc. Questions:
-Is there any training required?
-Is the training in a formal classroom or on-the-job?
-Is there any extra/offered/voluntary training opportunities?
-How does "this" job fit into the rest of the company?
-Why is this position available (new/quit/fired/promoted/moved?) If promoted, how did they achieve promotion?
-Further describe duties/responsibilities as "you" see them.
-Level of work independence?
-Any issues with stability? Is your company looking to downsize or relocate?
-What are the characteristics of successful persons here?
-What is the actual size of my support team?
-"Chain of Command"?
-Work Hours, 40 hour standard week, any overtime available?
-How/when are employee evaluations performed?
-Advancement/promotion process.
-Any further requirements/demands that come to mind?
-Are there any extracurricular activities, e.g. Company Picnic, bowling team, etc...
Posted on 2009-07-13 01:49:07 by SpooK

-Don't call them... they will call you... but if they actually say that then they probably won't call you

Story of my life :( I don't call anymore.. I give it my best shot and tell myself I didn't get the position, if I get a call back I am positively surprised.

This interviewing stuff is a nightmare. In everyday life I'm already not a social butterfly but going out of my way to appear "normal" to people is torture. This looking into the eye and smiling thing is totally ackward to me and I'm glad that most of the pre-screening gets done over the phone nowadays.

oh btw.. they cancelled me this morning because they have "computer troubles". WTF??? :shock:
Posted on 2009-07-13 08:26:34 by JimmyClif
Thanks for all the input guys. I prepare a mental speech for that question dividing it into Network, OS and Application Errors which I then tackle one after another.
Posted on 2009-07-13 08:28:40 by JimmyClif