Hi there!
have you seen the site http://tineye.com ?

I don't know if you know of this, so i tought i'd share it with you(even if things seem quite still here...do you hear the wind blowing?)...I think it's kind of a milestone.
I discovered this after someone on a forum talked about it.

You provide an image, upload or online, and it searches online copies of it.
The best part, it works! MLaybe the database is till small, but still.

It also finds copies with different sizes, or chrominance, ok. And also with text overlay it seems, ok.
I can begin to imagine how this can work...
But then it seems to find pictures that are subset/superset of the original...thats impressive.

See the examples : http://tineye.com/cool_searches
Posted on 2009-07-12 22:52:40 by HeLLoWorld
Not one of my searches returned a result (including some chromo-altered versions of popular web images) - then I read this:

TinEye looks for the specific image you uploaded, not the content of the image.

Where does it say that stuff you claimed?
Posted on 2009-07-13 04:22:40 by Homer
Have you clicked on the second link? :)
Besides, I tested. :D
Posted on 2009-07-13 10:46:55 by HeLLoWorld
They mean, it does not search for a cat or Rihanna, it probably searches for an image containing a similar FFT.
I guess.
Posted on 2009-07-13 10:49:31 by HeLLoWorld
From what I see it just performs simple pixel comparison with some tolerance and filters like gray, resize, etc.

Interesting, but I doubt I will ever have the need to use it ;)
Posted on 2009-07-13 12:21:30 by ti_mo_n
From what i see, it does not. But that's just me. (or it depends what you mean by "pixel comparison")
i find that the examples speak for themselves...
They say they compute some compact signature for each picture, i suppose it gets hashed then.
But it's a mystery to me how they manage to find subsets or supersets of the source...in a non-exponential way.
Posted on 2009-07-13 13:39:56 by HeLLoWorld
i have already used it several times. :)
Posted on 2009-07-13 14:02:49 by HeLLoWorld