Hi Guys, please help me out on this,

I've captured the screenshot of the active screen on the machine. Now am stuck with getting it copied to a file  :sad:
I'm not sure how to proceed with it. Please help me out.

invoke keybd_event, VK_SNAPSHOT, 0, 0, 0
invoke OpenClipboard,0
invoke GetClipboardData, CF_BITMAP
mov hClipboard,eax

Thanks,

C K
Posted on 2009-09-04 02:46:02 by karthikeyanck
That returns a HBITMAP.

The following pseudocode is naiive, but should work.

;Get pointer to raw data, and its size
invoke GlobalLock, hClipboard
mov pData,eax
invoke GlobalSize,pData
mov dLen,eax

;Open a new/existing file for writing
invoke CreateFile,pstrName,GENERIC_WRITE,FILE_SHARE_READ,NULL,CREATE_ALWAYS,FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL,NULL
mov hFile,eax

;Write all the data
.while dLen>0
 mov dWrote,0
 invoke WriteFile,hFile,pData,dLen,addr dWrote,NULL
 mov eax,dWrote
 sub dLen,eax
 add pData,eax
.endw

;Dont forget to unlock the data
invoke GlobalUnlock,hClipboard

Just provide a suitable pathname for the file eg "TESTFILE.BMP"
Note that you should make sure that OpenClipboard succeeded before proceeding!

I'm pretty sure you are writing a trojan / rat based on the sum total of your posts since you joined this forum, which is against The Rules of this forum, however I will overlook your intent until you clearly cross the line.
Just be aware that we will not tolerate malcode, or malcoders here.
There are more suitable forums for those kinds of topics.
Posted on 2009-09-04 06:00:21 by Homer
Thanks Homer,

My intentions are not bad, actually am in the starting stage of reversing malicious codes. I thought that learning MASM would give me a fair idea when I do my reversing. So learning the ways of coding that I could make use when I reverse malicious codes  :)
Posted on 2009-09-04 07:52:00 by karthikeyanck

That returns a HBITMAP.

The following pseudocode is naiive, but should work.

;Get pointer to raw data, and its size
invoke GlobalLock, hClipboard
mov pData,eax
invoke GlobalSize,pData
mov dLen,eax

;Open a new/existing file for writing
invoke CreateFile,pstrName,GENERIC_WRITE,FILE_SHARE_READ,NULL,CREATE_ALWAYS,FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL,NULL
mov hFile,eax

;Write all the data
.while dLen>0
 mov dWrote,0
 invoke WriteFile,hFile,pData,dLen,addr dWrote,NULL
 mov eax,dWrote
 sub dLen,eax
 add pData,eax
.endw

;Dont forget to unlock the data
invoke GlobalUnlock,hClipboard

Just provide a suitable pathname for the file eg "TESTFILE.BMP"
Note that you should make sure that OpenClipboard succeeded before proceeding!

I'm pretty sure you are writing a trojan / rat based on the sum total of your posts since you joined this forum, which is against The Rules of this forum, however I will overlook your intent until you clearly cross the line.
Just be aware that we will not tolerate malcode, or malcoders here.
There are more suitable forums for those kinds of topics.

Ok I tried this, but GlobalLock wouldn't write the first block of the memory. Rather it fails returning NULL. Pls can you tell me what's the problem is?

Thanks,

C K
Posted on 2009-09-04 08:01:30 by karthikeyanck

If GlobalLock returns NULL, make a call to GetLastError for more information.
But I would be checking first whether the Clipboard functions are succeeding.
In fact, its good practice to ALWAYS check the return values of Windows API functions, unless you are VERY confident that you know what the result will be, or you don't actually care for the result.
Posted on 2009-09-04 09:47:00 by Homer
Thanks Homer,

The last error was ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE, All the ClipBoard Functions returned true. GetClipBoardData returns the handle to the clipboard object.

It's with GlobalLock not returning the first memory block. Please can you help me out

Thanks,

C K
Posted on 2009-09-04 23:38:26 by karthikeyanck
If you are getting invalid handle you may have to globalcreate a portion of memory and copy the bitmap image there.  Just an idea.  I find this thread particularly useful as I am interested in creating a web based VNC-like application.
Posted on 2009-09-05 23:25:13 by GoldStar611
Humm, I never tried this on the desktop window (NULL) before.
Try calling GetDesktopWindow and pass that handle instead of NULL (HWND_DESKTOP).
Maybe it will help?
Posted on 2009-09-06 00:22:25 by Homer

Humm, I never tried this on the desktop window (NULL) before.
Try calling GetDesktopWindow and pass that handle instead of NULL (HWND_DESKTOP).
Maybe it will help?

I've tried that, but that doesn't work too :(
When GetClipBoardData is used with CF_TEXT it works fine,  but doesn't work well on CF_BITMAP. Please suggest.

Thanks,

C K
Posted on 2009-09-07 04:47:51 by karthikeyanck
Try this:

invoke keybd_event, VK_SNAPSHOT, 0, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0

Here we are not only simulating the KEYDOWN, but also simulating KEYUP.
Maybe it will help.

Its also worth knowing that I saw something about Active window in regards to input params for this call.

And if that does not help, you will need to use a different method to screencapture - this is not the only way.
Posted on 2009-09-07 07:26:48 by Homer
Nope, doesn't work... GlobalLock still returns NULL.

I can tell one thing that this works

Coz when I exit the program and try pasting the contents of clipboard to mspaint it pastes the contents of the screen printed with the keybd_event function.... It's now only the matter of getting the source and size of the data in the ClipBoard.
Posted on 2009-09-07 08:06:56 by karthikeyanck
IIRC then

invoke GetClipboardData, CF_BITMAP
mov hClipboard,eax

does not return the handle of the clipboard _but_ the handle of the bitmap and you don't even need to call GlobalLock at all.

Try saving it using Donkey's proc here: http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=17752.msg137060#msg137060

Hope that works.
Posted on 2009-09-07 09:29:57 by JimmyClif
Thanks JimmyClif

That works perfectly.... But I still have some problems here, everytime I ran the executable and it doesn't create the bitmap file correctly. Many times it fails to write the data into the file (it writes the header information). And strangely sometimes it correctly creates the screenshot in the specified bitmap image.

Attaching the code, I believe I'm missing out something...

I slipped through the EXE in OLLY and found it works perfectly always, not sure why there are issues when running it standalone.
Attachments:
Posted on 2009-09-08 08:14:22 by karthikeyanck
check your OpenClipBoard call returned TRUE, under some circumstances it can fail (if its open in another process for example)
if it returns FALSE you can't do anything
Posted on 2009-09-08 08:49:13 by evlncrn8
yeah I did check that.... Am not sure how come it works perfectly when run through Olly and fails most of the time when run standalone.

I've stepped through Olly and OpenClipboard always returns true, even all other functions returns appropriate results... not sure what's happening when the exe is run normally.

Attaching the EXE for reference.
Attachments:
Posted on 2009-09-08 09:16:50 by karthikeyanck
You never closehandle(hFile) anywhere in the program. try doing that after the writefile call
Posted on 2009-09-08 15:04:24 by GoldStar611
oops, but that also didn't work.... If that the case it should've not work'd when I run the EXE in Olly right  ;) Each time I run the EXE in Olly I get 100% result, still nothing happens most of the time when running the EXE normally :(

invoke CloseHandle, hFile
Posted on 2009-09-08 23:11:38 by karthikeyanck
I found that if I run the app from windows Folder Explorer shell, it doesnt work, but if I run it from QEditor (ShellExecute) then it works.
I believe the cause is , as mentioned, that OpenClipboard will fail if another process (such as the Folder shell) is already using it... you'll need to repeatedly try it in a loop until it succeeds, with a small Sleep in there, or something.

Posted on 2009-09-09 02:12:48 by Homer
If I get that right, OpenClipboard works perfectly, it's only GetClipboardData that's troubling me  :mad:
Posted on 2009-09-09 03:11:34 by karthikeyanck
Called the EXE from a separate code, that did the trick. Each time it works perfectly, still no answer as to why GetClipboardData is not fetching that data despite OpenClipboard and keybd_event returning appropriate results, any idea ?

invoke ShellExecute, NULL, ADDR lpOperation, ADDR lpFile, NULL, NULL, SW_HIDE

Thanks All  :)
Posted on 2009-09-09 04:26:05 by karthikeyanck