Things were working great this morning and then my computer starting running thru the BIOS and then keeps restarting.
I can access my BIOS settings.

It boots up fine using Bart PE.

Bart P.E. shows the C: drive but says it doesn't have a file system.

I have a second 160 Gb drive that I used for backup but it has no OS.
My system has the same Ethernet card, video card, motherboard, and Ram.

I don't know what I should do next.

I have my XP install disk.

What advice would you recommend?

Thanks,
            Andy

Posted on 2009-09-14 12:04:19 by skywalker
Doesn't sound good. Did you run NTFS or FAT filesystem? Things like this haven't happened to me since I buried FAT.

My suggestion would be cloning the defunct disk to another disk, in order to have a backup (never try in-place restores if you have any important data). Do this with a sector copy or disk imaging program.

Then, use a decent recovery app. The one I've had most success with is GetDataBack from Runtime. It's awfully slow and the user interface isn't the best in the world, but it has been pretty good at recovering files.
Posted on 2009-09-14 12:08:54 by f0dder
I am back in business.
I did not lose any files since I had them backed up on 2 thumb drives.

I moved my 160 Gb drive to be the primary drive.

The one that went nite-nite was the 18 Gb.
It was an IBM Deskstar made in Thailand.

(I think later I will take the bad drive outside and hit it a few times with a hammer since I heard that putting a strong magnet next to it doesn't work like it does with a floppy disk.)

I reinstalled Win XP Pro and formatted the drive to NTFS.

That $5 I paid for a 2 Gb thumbdrive turned out to be money well spent. :-)

Those things are better than sliced bread.

When I am through "recovering", I will write a batch file to recreate directories on a new drive to be prepared for the next disk failure.

Posted on 2009-09-14 17:54:54 by skywalker

It was an IBM Deskstar made in Thailand.

Not surprising. You may be interested to know that the Deskstar series of hard drives rightfully earned the "Deathstar" nickname due to their failure rates.

Hitachi may have since fixed this issue since inheriting the mess from IBM, but I'll never buy another Deskstar, again.
Posted on 2009-09-14 19:35:46 by SpooK
Thanks for the info.

One article said that the heads "tended to drop" and they used glass platters.

I thought this next statement was really cute.

<< The purpose of S.M.A.R.T. is to warn a user or system administrator of impending drive failure.

I may drill out those torx screws and take a "look see" at what's under the hood.

Andy

Posted on 2009-09-14 23:27:40 by skywalker
The platen is aluminium, same as the foil on a cd or dvd.
They are almost the same size as a skeet, and quite aerodynamic.
Posted on 2009-09-15 00:43:32 by Homer