I saw that icons are stored in shell32.dll.

I understand that its' a dynamic link library.

I looked at the examples, but did see anything referring to storing icons in dll programs.

I would like to read some reference material that would pertain to uses of dlls.

Best regards,
                    Andy
Posted on 2009-09-21 18:49:20 by skywalker
a DLL an an EXE is pretty much the same thing. Exes are supposed to be run by users, while DLLs are supposed to be run by other programs. They can store, among other things, code, data, and resources (icons, cursors, images, sound files, everything). Read about resources.

If you want an empty DLL (a dll which actually does nothing) just to store icons in it, just make its DllMain return a 1 and embed as many icons as you wish.
Posted on 2009-09-21 18:57:30 by ti_mo_n
A DLL is also an easy way to let multiple programs share the same code instead of having to compile the same code in each EXE.  Just LoadLibrary, GetProcAddress and push parameters and call the function, hence the dynamic part of the name.  Look for a resource editor program (ResHacker, XNResourceViewer, etc) and you can check out the resources stored.  Get a dissassembler like OllyDebug and you can check out the exported functions in machine code.
Posted on 2009-09-22 23:04:23 by GoldStar611