Does MS offer any kind of "reward" for this?

http://www.winasm.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2189

I could use the "dough."

I think there are way more productive ways of writing code.
Like they could write a program to assign a keyboard shortcut to programs.

Outta here.
Posted on 2009-09-21 19:06:34 by skywalker
Actually there are legit uses for that. Just yesterday someone dropped off their pc at my house and while updating i received the counterfeit message. Turns out that the repair shop (still in business today) used their oem licenses a little too frequently and this key was blacklisted. The couple has another xp license sticker on the case and i'll try to give this tool a whirl :)
Posted on 2009-09-21 20:03:07 by JimmyClif

Actually there are legit uses for that. Just yesterday someone dropped off their pc at my house and while updating i received the counterfeit message. Turns out that the repair shop (still in business today) used their oem licenses a little too frequently and this key was blacklisted. The couple has another xp license sticker on the case and i'll try to give this tool a whirl :)

Well, if it is a name brand machine, and you don't have the appropriate OEMBIOS files like those found on a Royalty OEM install/restore disc specific to that manufacturer, the key on the license sticker won't work :sad:

I've had this happen a few times, computer was wiped (or needed to be) and no install/restore disc was available. It wasn't all that hard to re-manufacture the appropriate Royalty OEM install disc using the OEMBIOS files and any given (even upgrade version) install disc. You just have to make sure you are using the exact same Windows version as stated on the sticker, e.g. XP Home, XP Professional, etc... and everything will be 100% legit.
Posted on 2009-09-21 21:53:42 by SpooK
I found this info and couldn't understand some of the things.

A friend's HP computer only has Recovery Disks for WinMe.
So does that computer use a SLP?

New brand-name computers (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.) come with Windows XP preloaded that has an (Original Equipment Manufacturer) OEM licence. The OEM licensing system is different to that of the retail packaged version of Windows XP. The OEM licence does not allow Windows XP to be transferred to a new computer; the retail licence does allow such a transfer. OEM copies are only licensed for use on the new computer on which they were originally installed.

Many OEM copies installed by the major manufacturers (Dell, HP, Packard Bell, etc.) use a system called System Locked Pre-Installation (SLP) that doesn't match any hardware on start-up. It looks for a special signature in the BIOS setup program instead. If the computer's installation Windows XP has a file called oembios.bin, then it has SLP-activated OEM copy.
Posted on 2009-09-22 13:17:24 by skywalker