NaN posted some instructions some time way back at the old message board on how to setup Ultraedit so you can build, run etc assembly programs.

was wonderiing if someone knows how to do it properly?
Posted on 2002-01-14 21:26:17 by smurf
Posted on 2002-01-14 22:04:29 by bitRAKE
I use UE ver. 8.00

Here is what i can share:

This is the syntax highlighting stuff to add to the WORDFILE.TXT. You can edit it thu Advanced->Config->Syntax H.
/L5"ASM" Line Comment = ; Escape Char = \ File Extensions = ASM INC

/Delimiters = @,$*+-/=?[]:
/Function String = "^(%[0-9a-zA-Z_@?$]+[ ^t]^)+proc+[ ^t^p]"
/C1
aaa aad aam aas adc add and
AAA AAD AAM AAS ADC ADD AND
call cbw clc cld cli cmc cmp cmps cwd
CALL CBW CLC CLD CLI CMC CMP CMPS CWD
daa das dec div
DAA DAS DEC DIV
esc
ESC
hlt
HLT
idiv imul in inc int into invoke iret
IDIV IMUL IN INC INT INTO INVOKE IRET
ja jae jb jbe jc jcxz je jg jge jl jle jmp jna jnae jnb jnbe jnc jne jng jnge jnl jnle jno jnp jns jnz jo jp jpe jpo js jz
JA JAE JB JBE JC JCXZ JE JG JGE JL JLE JMP JNA JNAE JNB JNBE JNC JNE JNG JNGE JNL JNLE JNO JNP JNS JNZ JO JP JPE JPO JS JZ
lahf lds lea les lods loop loope loopne loopnz loopz
LAHF LDS LEA LES LODS LOOP LOOPE LOOPNE LOOPNZ LOOPZ
mov movs mul
MOV MOVS MUL
neg nil nop not
NEG NIL NOP NOT
or out
OR OUT
pop popf push pushf
POP POPF PUSH PUSHF
rcl rcr rep repe repne repnz perz ret rol ror
RCL RCR REP REPE REPNE REPNZ PERZ RET ROL ROR
sahf sal sar sbb scas shl shr stc std sti stos sub
SAHF SAL SAR SBB SCAS SHL SHR STC STD STI STOS SUB
test
TEST
wait
WAIT
xchg xlat xor
XCHG XLAT XOR
/C2
.186 .286p .287 .386 .386p .387 .8086 .8087 .alpha .code .const .cref .data .data? .err .err1 .err2 .errb .errdef .errdif .erre .erridn .errnb .errndef .errnz .fardata .fardata? .lall .lfcond .list .model .out .radix .sall .seq .sfcond .stack .tfcond .type .xall .xcref .xlist
.186 .286P .287 .386 .386P .387 .8086 .8087 .ALPHA .CODE .CONST .CREF .DATA .DATA? .ERR .ERR1 .ERR2 .ERRB .ERRDEF .ERRDIF .ERRE .ERRIDN .ERRNB .ERRNDEF .ERRNZ .FARDATA .FARDATA? .LALL .LFCOND .LIST .MODEL .OUT .RADIX .SALL .SEQ .SFCOND .STACK .TFCOND .TYPE .XALL .XCREF .XLIST
align assume
ALIGN ASSUME
byte
BYTE
comm comment
COMM COMMENT
db dd dg dosseg dq dt dw dword dup
DB DD DG DOSSEG DQ DT DW DWORD DUP
else end endif endm endp ends eq equ even exitm extrn
ELSE END ENDIF ENDM ENDP ENDS EQ EQU EVEN EXITM EXTRN
far fword
FAR FWORD
ge group gt
GE GROUP GT
high
HIGH
if ifb ifdef ifdif ife ifidn ifnb ifndef if1 if2 include includelib irp irpc
IF IFB IFDEF IFDIF IFE IFIDN IFNB IFNDEF IF1 IF2 INCLUDE INCLUDELIB IRP IRPC
label le length line local low lt
LABEL LE LENGTH LINE LOCAL LOW LT
macro mask mod
MACRO MASK MOD
name ne near nothing
NAME NE NEAR NOTHING
offset org
OFFSET ORG
page proc ptr public purge
PAGE PROC PTR PUBLIC PURGE
qword
QWORD
record rept reptrd
RECORD REPT REPTRD
seg segment short size stack struc subttl
SEG SEGMENT SHORT SIZE STACK STRUC SUBTTL
tbyte this title type
TBYTE THIS TITLE TYPE
width word
WIDTH WORD
/C3
ax
AX
bp bx
BP BX
cs cx
CS CX
di ds dx
DI DS DX
es
ES
fr
FR
si sp ss
SI SP SS
ip
IP
/C4
al ah
AL AH
bl bh
BL BH
cl ch
CL CH
dl dh
DL DH

This stuff will make it respond to .asm files with my prefered color scheme.

The colors are stored in the .INI file found under /windows/uedit32.ini (I've attached my own). It also stores all the configurations that i've manually done. The two of them is what i back up with.

Likewise you can edit most of the stuff from the Advanced->Config menu option.

To get it to compile your code you need to do some toolbar setup:

Advanced->Toolbar Config allows you to assign "Tools" to use. I have a bunch, but some are not used anymore (too lazy to clean up after myself :) )

Advanced->Config->Toolbars allows you to place the extra buttons on the visible bar. Assigning alown doesnt make them appear! The assigned buttons are called User Tool x and the # coresponds to the order the "assignments" are shown in the dialog box shown above. The icon itself is a axe looking thingy with a number in the corner.

So this means the Second assignment in the list will be ran when i choose the Axe (2) button.

The Last thing is getting proper scripts together (for the assignments).

Things to note about the current file tab in focus:
%n == File Name (no extension)
%e == extension
%p == Path
%f == %p%n%e == The works!

These are used when setting up the toolbutton scripts, here is my Compile assignment settings:
Posted on 2002-01-14 22:09:42 by NaN
Most is pretty straight forward: Batch files work REALY well with this setup. But from experience with hutch's remember NOT to have the .asm extension or things dont work.

Notice the assignment order at the bottom list box. The UP/DOWN allows you to move assignemtns around, thus adjusting what toolbar button gets what assignmetn.

The capture output, and output to listbox, allows easy debugging. The error list is displayed in a separate dockable window, and when double clicked on will take you to the line #.

Also note, there is a fucntion list, that is automatically set up for you (properly delimited) if you choose to use my above syntax setup.. The /Function ... is where it is spelled out. It will automatically parse you code and "find" proc's and create a list box for fast browsing. To get it to pop up, you can set up a button, or choose View->View/Lists->Function List

Here is an example:
Posted on 2002-01-14 22:18:13 by NaN
Lastly, i sugest you make use of Hutch's hard work (Thanx Hutch).

There is a very useful tool in you MASM32 kit:

\masm32\Tmenu\Toolsmnu.exe

I have it configured to handle (neatly) alot more editor tools:
Posted on 2002-01-14 22:21:55 by NaN
It has a config file to edit, and pretty easy to do, but remember to make help files to work you have to specify the program that will "load" the help file:

Win32 API Reference,C:\WINDOWS\winhlp32.exe D:\masm32\help\Win32.hlp

I added this program (TMenu) into a toolbar button, so it will sorta act like a drop box for me (with other tool choices).

One last thing, to get rid of the annoying yellow current Line bar that follows the cursor, you can turn it on/off on the View->SetColor option.

Here is the INI file i promised (rename it to .ini)

PPS: If you DO use hutches batch files, remember to remove the last line in the file "pause". This will hold the DOS window open needlessly since the ouput is being captured by UE. This is why i have my file name called BUILDA2.bat.

Hope this helps..
:alright:
NaN
Posted on 2002-01-14 22:31:25 by NaN
bitrake i strickly use slow poke mode. i find it to be funner.

thanks nan! :)
Posted on 2002-01-14 22:32:13 by smurf
you can also add a few (20) toolbar buttons to add custom text at the current caret position. You can use this to create function templates, declares and other annoying-to-type stuff. once upon a time before I had to reinstall windows, i had templates for procedures with 0,1,2,3,4, and wnd parameters.
at least this way you won't forget those nasty ret words that when missing crash your program for apparently no obvious reason. While you won't forget them, you will forget about them. :grin:
Posted on 2002-01-14 22:38:06 by Hel