I don't understand the task.
Format of strings?
is there always something before and after ':'
or there might be such strings as
db ':abc',0,'abc:',0,':',0,0
Posted on 2001-08-07 07:29:01 by The Svin
The task was to split the strings into two arrays. One would be what is before the ':', the other would be what is after the ':'. The source strings were separated by a zero, and a zero to terminate the source. Example:

db 'abc:123',0,'qwe:456',0,0

became:

db 'abc',0,'qwe',0,0

db '123',0,'456',0,0

Or, this is what I have assumed from this thread as well as the one on the old board. Hope I got it right? :)
Posted on 2001-08-07 08:27:42 by bitRAKE
I understand, but the question remains:
Could there be null strings in some paires?
Like ':abc',0,'abc:',0 etc.
Posted on 2001-08-08 22:25:08 by The Svin
Given the example I would say no, but assumptions turn into bugs later on. :) Paise to Allah, where is Beg - the originator of this puzzle? :)
Posted on 2001-08-08 22:30:12 by bitRAKE
In the Name of Allah...

Beg is here again after some time. I was busy writing a good-natured virus-like protection for my frind's commercial program.

Anyway, the algorithm we study here does not care about the length of the strings. So, it assumes that ':' is the delimiter, no matter what is before or after it. Although, every string pair should end with ASCII(0).
This was to the question...

My Project

I am about to start a project of writing my own operating system, which should be written in assembly (entirely). The main purpose of this OS would not be to present you a cool-looking GUI like Windoze or to amaze you with its great multitasking capabilities. The main purpose of this OS is to provide a base for running high-speed algorithms for some specialized tasks (like, for example, HDD scanning).
The idea is to write a single-task OS, to save the valuable processor time which is needed for our calculations. This can be achieved by writing a real-mode-only system. This could be sufficient for some tasks, but protected mode is the real goal. The key point is that in protected mode there should be only one running application - and that is "our program". This way we would have virtual memory (if we need it with our 2KB progs), protection (in case we need it some day), task separation (we don't need it), task switching (don't need it) ...
The OS should implement the FAT and (or) FAT32 file system. Why? Because we could then use our OS to read files stored by Windows from the HDD or to write them to the HDD. This can be very useful in some cases.

So, this was my idea. If there are some of you, who are interested in working together on this project, just drop your reply here!

Anyway, Hiroshimator could add a new topic to our messageboard called "OPERATING SYSTEMS", where we could talk about the "very low" level things in Windows.

Praises and thanks to Allah and thanks to you all for reading this stuph!

Beg
Posted on 2001-08-23 18:09:36 by Beg
Beg, there are some links on my page that might interest you when your in OS building mode.
Posted on 2001-08-24 10:00:24 by bitRAKE
Here's a new verse that will be added to our codecs: "Thou shalt not talk religion on these boards lest ye be struck down by assembler errors".

As said in the past, this is a multi-cultural assembly programmersboard not a religious one, let's just keep religion to ourselves since it is such a personal and touchy matter.

Thank you.
-H-
Posted on 2001-08-25 14:48:57 by Hiroshimator