Another issue ensues: dword ptr or ?

And don't forget ^^
Posted on 2009-12-24 17:39:49 by ti_mo_n
I wonder where the syntax came from though.
Intel never uses it in any of their documentation/samples, and MASM is probably the oldest assembler on x86, which has supported Intel syntax from day 1.
So at some point this alternative syntax has become popular... but where did it come from, and why?
Did people move to TASM and start using ideal mode? If so, what for?
Posted on 2009-12-27 12:42:37 by Scali
There was a time where Borland's solutions were VERY popular (at least in some regions of the world) and I bet that comes from Borland. Ideal mode is supposed to be more clear and more WYSIWYG (more low-level). Probably had something to do with critical optimizations. There was a time when people were writing very efficient code because the machines were slow. So I guess you could market your assembler as "even more low-level" (because that's pretty much what the ideal mode is). Since that time, MASM has evolved very much and now both of them offer pretty much the same, so now it's just a difference in syntax. Still, for me ideal mode is more clear. But maybe it's because I started with TASM.
Posted on 2009-12-27 13:22:41 by ti_mo_n
Yea I know.
Turbo Pascal especially was quite popular in the DOS age. Turbo C++ was also more popular than MS C++ I suppose. At least, I've never even SEEN a DOS version of Microsoft's C++ stuff. My friends used Borland stuff, and even at my dad's work they used Turbo C++. Turbo C++ was also my first C++ environment.
Not sure why exactly, as I wasn't into Pascal or C++ much back in the day. My guess is that Borland had a better IDE than Microsoft. At least, from the days  that I started using Delphi and C++ tools for Windows, the Borland stuff was well ahead of Microsoft's stuff (but Microsoft's compilers always delivered the faster code).

Perhaps TASM rode in on Turbo Pascal/C++'s success.
Ironically enough, I did start with TASM myself, but I always used it in MASM mode, and I moved to MASM when I started with Win32ASM.
Posted on 2009-12-27 13:48:19 by Scali