I don't know how to formulate the question properly so I can't really look on the internet why it's happening to me.. but here's the scoop..

Last night I had a power outage and when the power came back on my internet was kaputt. The way I fixed it was to connect my cable modem directly to the computer and after it had a connection to unplug it and stick it back into the wireless router. Now everything works fine again.

Why? What was the problem? I just can't understand why that solved the problem... Since day one I have my pc's MAC Address cloned on my router so that shouldn't be the issue.

Anyone knows?
Posted on 2009-12-29 12:09:45 by JimmyClif
Perhaps the outage triggered a cycling of the dynamic IP in which your router did not detect/refresh via DHCP due to a currently valid lease time. Your computer would definitely have requested an IP via DHCP.

Also, your ISP's DNS servers may have been coincidentally down during the time you tried all of this, as well, making it seem like your internet was not working altogether.
Posted on 2009-12-29 13:19:24 by SpooK
I believe you could be right with the dhcp issue. I power cycled the modem first (when connected to the router) but there was no change.  Should have I power cycled the router also? Would that have helped? Just trying to learn ;)

Posted on 2009-12-29 15:05:15 by JimmyClif
I don't know how current this info is, but for broadband this is the simple method:

1.) Turn off the router
2.) Turn off the cable modem
3.) Wait 5 minutes
4.) Turn on the cable modem
5.) Wait for cable modem up/down link
6.) Turn on the router
7.) Sacrifice first born to the Googlez

#7 has been omitted as it was proven to not have any actual affect whatsoever... or so I am told.
Posted on 2009-12-29 15:47:34 by SpooK
Next power outage is just around the corner (one benefit to live in the middle of nowhere in CT) so I can try that soon ;) Thank You !
Posted on 2009-12-29 20:00:29 by JimmyClif
I have a Belkin router, it's going down daily but I suspect it is having an issue with p2p type software. I just unplug it and the modem and plug them back in. If I plug in too quickly the router only gives limited access (as if I have and incorrect WEP key or my MAC address isn't recognized) but if I wait about 15 seconds everything is fine. I've tried just about everything to get the thing stable but it might hang in for a few days at the most then crashes again.

Better than the Linksys that I had before it though. The most unfortunate mistake I've made was putting linksys cards (WMP300N) in my desktop PCs, worst software ever written. At some point they started getting an exception error in ntdll and so I uninstalled the software and tried to reinstall it. Unfortunately the uninstall procedure didn't completely remove the registry entries and the new installation kept giving errors about keys already existing and aborting the installation. After 3 hours of manually combing through the registry and deleting keys I finally got the software installed. The Linksys router was a nightmare and I simply returned it after about 4 days of headaches.
Posted on 2009-12-29 20:15:30 by donkey
I've never had any luck with anything branded as Linksys beyond simple switches, never could find a stable router or NIC... even after Cisco's acquisition of Linksys.

I have a Belkin Wireless N router and I haven't had any issues with it, though I don't heavily use p2p and it has the latest firmware.
Posted on 2009-12-29 20:42:04 by SpooK
Actually after I posted I decided to check the firmware version of the router and a new version was available that is supposed to solve the issue with p2p software, it appears that it was in the uPnP configuration. The router now appears to be much more stable under extreme loads, at least it has not crashed in the last few hours in conditions that would have brought it down immediately.
Posted on 2009-12-30 01:23:36 by donkey
Glad my thread helped you in your P2P adventures :) What P2P websites do you frequent? Many many years ago (about eight) I used P2P a lot, namely eDonkey but after awhile I never managed to download anything fast enough (for my taste). I switched to usenet and have been satisfied ever since. The only time I fire up bittorrent nowadays is to download an Ubuntu release.

I use a Buffalo Wireless N and had never any problems. I installed a few Rosewills N (with the three antennas) in friends houses and the only complain I have with them is that their default gateway conflicts with any ISDN service around here. Sometimes when you change the default value on them it poops itself and only a hard reset can bring it back.

Posted on 2009-12-30 13:02:13 by JimmyClif
I pretty much use p2p for torrents only, uTorrent is a great application. As for websites, because most of the websites that have useful torrents also have sections that are illegal, I'd rather not give them more publicity than they deserve.
Posted on 2009-12-30 21:36:28 by donkey