Ok guys,

I need some quick help. Im writing a console type app for a WinCE based system(Dreamcast if you must know), but you can't really do console apps. It allows creation of a basic window and stuff..

Anyway.. I was wondering if anyone could come up with a way to do console type stuff (printf, scanf, ect) on a basic window.. like could anyone come up with an effective way to change a window made with CreateWindow into a console?

MODS, Please don't move this to game dev.. this wont get answered there. Its not game related even though its on a gaming console.

I need help asap.. I need to get this done by next week :)

Thanks,

Torch
Posted on 2002-01-15 21:24:56 by Torch
Can't you just use a window with a multi-line edit control and write custom procs to emulate the functions you'd like to create your own console?
Posted on 2002-01-15 21:54:00 by bitRAKE
Unrelated, related question... can you assemble WinCe apps with MASM. If so can someone provide some info.

I have been dying to try a asm app on my handheld for a while now:)
Posted on 2002-01-15 22:19:19 by -T-
There is an option in link.exe for WindowsCE try typing in link /? for more info.

/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWSCE
and
/WINDOWSCE:{CONVERT|EMULATION}

Though , I myself haven't tried it....
Posted on 2002-01-15 22:33:04 by stryker
If you are targeting the dreamcast, you'll need an SH4 assembler (the dreamcast isn't a plain SH4 either, it has extras that I don't know about, last time I looked at DC hardware was a year ago, and then it was still a closely guarded Sega secret)!
The linker can handle SH4 but I don't think ML will.
If you are planning on moving your app around WinCE devices I'd recomend C and try to stick to the ANSI stuff, most WinCE platforms will run on ARM or variants of it, but there are plenty of others out there too.

Mirno
Posted on 2002-01-16 05:01:58 by Mirno
Ill try.. hehe

Im using Embedded VC++ which compiles for SH4, so Im ok with that much :).

Ill try doing the multiline edit thing.. I don't know if Ill be able to get it working like I want to lol.. :). I should be able to.

Thanks guys
Posted on 2002-01-16 05:38:58 by Torch
The only reason Im doing WinCE is because I don't like KOS at all.. hehe. Its limited, but its ok for games. Nothing like this or an mp3 player.

Torch
Posted on 2002-01-16 05:40:45 by Torch