Hello,
I'm giving a try to MIPS Assembly by reading the MIPS Assembly Language Programming book, but I don't know the tools that are suggested and that are optional. What I need is

[*]Tools that are needed
    [*]What is the best emulator and how to configure it?
    [*]What I need to compile MIPS Assembly?

I'm using Linux Ubuntu Hardy Heron

Best Regards,
Nathan Paulino Campos
Posted on 2010-01-27 18:47:55 by nathanpc
Unfortunately, MIPS opcodes will only execute on a MIPS processor, these RISC-based architectures can be found only in embedded systems, playstation 2, and a handful of others.
Did you keep the receipt for the book? I'd try to return it :)

Ohh, you could try a PS2 emulator, but that would be illegal, since you need the PS2 kernel binary.
I don't think it's even legal to rip your own from your PS2.

Posted on 2010-01-28 02:17:50 by Homer
You can also try using a Nintendo64 emulator, as it is powered by a MIPS R4300i, and doesn't require any kernel/binary.

Your best bet may be to grab a copy of QEMU and give the MIPS target support a whirl.
Posted on 2010-01-28 02:42:13 by SpooK
To be honest, I thought about playing with MIPS a while back. Unfortunately I couldn't find any decent development tools either. I had no use for an emulator as I had an old belkin router that ran Linux on MIPS and was able to setup an SSHd shell to act as a test-bed. Unfortunately, short of a cross-compiler version of GCC with a GAS backend, I wasn't able to find much worth mentioning.
Posted on 2010-01-28 13:01:09 by Synfire