Hello,
Today I saw somethings about algorithms, but what really is algorithms and what are the use of they?

Best Regards,
Nathan Paulino Campos
Posted on 2010-01-27 18:56:41 by nathanpc
-----> Algorithms <-----
Posted on 2010-01-27 19:27:25 by SpooK
I've saw that, but I've still don't understand. :(
Posted on 2010-01-27 19:57:24 by nathanpc
An algorithm is a series of (usually mathematical) steps that , if followed in the correct order, can solve a given problem.

Problems are hard. Thats why we call them problems.
When solving a problem, we often break it down into a series of simple steps.
So an algorithm is a set of steps that lead to the solution of a problem.

Of course, not all algorithms can be expressed using conventional math, and indeed, some problems are not really mathematical at all - but they can still be solved using an algorithm, so long as the solution can be broken down into steps.

An example of a non-mathematical algorithm is a recipe for making a cocktail, another is the steps involved in changing the oil in your car engine. These are problems, they can be expressed as a series a steps, they are therefore algorithms :)

Now ask 50 cooks for their chocolate cake recipe, you'll get 50 algorithms (recipes) - all of them solve the same problem, but each has its own unique advantages and disadvantages.
The same applies to purely mathematical algorithms, there's 1000 ways to skin a cat, which one is best often depends apon why you are skinning the cat, what kind of cat it is, who owns it, whether you need to skin the cat quickly or want a tidy cat skin, etc.
Posted on 2010-01-28 00:26:45 by Homer