Hi, can you guys recomend me a good software that can recover file even if driver has been formated by windows instalation.

i accidently installed windows on my d:\ driver instead of c:\ :( and my source codes were lost, i wanna see if i can recover them. thank you.
Posted on 2010-03-25 06:59:51 by SADE
Recovering from a *formatted* drive generally isn't a problem - but you went through with Windows installation? Your chances of recovering anything is going to be very slim. The data recovery program I've had most success with is Runtime Systems GetDataBack... but it can't do magic.
Posted on 2010-03-25 07:04:29 by f0dder
PC Inspector is freeware datarecovery software, it does an excellent job at searching for orphaned files.
Good luck :)
Posted on 2010-03-25 07:15:55 by Homer
Oh, and the cheeky reply would be: "restore from backup". Consider it a lesson learned :)
Posted on 2010-03-25 07:19:44 by f0dder
thank you, i have tried both software apps and i only see the current d:\ folders and file, not the old one.
I have tried many software apps and the only one showing me the old folders before format/installation is Disk Doctor Windows Data Recovery, but i don't see any files inside the folders, I don't know if the reason is because the software is a trial version or because the files has been deleted forever.
i will try more software apps

Posted on 2010-03-26 08:23:30 by SADE
This is a tool i recently used,
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,23108-order,1/description.html

Just remember if you recover try something, to save it to another disc so you dont overwrite the original data
Posted on 2010-03-26 08:49:21 by Azura
SADE,

Just remember if you recover try something, to save it to another disc so you dont overwrite the original data

Better yet, make an image, mount it as read-only and recover. Windows often writes to disk covertly (ubiquitous RECYCLER and System Volume Information folders, for example).
Posted on 2010-03-27 18:41:11 by baldr