Using task manager, I see that firefox starts out at around 48,000 bytes of memory use and steadily climbs upward to 90,000 plus.

IE 6.0 stays steady at around 18,000 bytes.

Does anyone know why Firefox 3.6.2 is such a "memory pig" ?

What do you think of Iexplorer 8.0?

Thanks.
Posted on 2010-03-30 19:02:02 by skywalker
I dumped Firefox and tell everyone to do the same... The more extensions you add to get this pig some functionality the more it crashes or plain hangs. I switched over to Google Chrome and couldn't be happier.

I used to be quite the Opera fan and still think that Opera's sidebar bookmark feature is one of the best I've ever seen - but using Chrome I hardly miss it.

Chrome + LastPass + Speed Dial + Session Manager makes me happy.
Posted on 2010-03-30 19:50:49 by JimmyClif
FF is about the most stable and usable browser for me.
90kB ? Meh, during work I keep mine with 1GB loaded content, 300 tabs grouped in 2-3 dozens of windows across virtual desktops.
Got a bunch of extensions that not-having-them would only slow my work down. Never ever crashed, keeping it running for a month - only rebooting to check beta gpu drivers, or some important FF+plugin updates are present.

Meanwhile, Chrome crashes (consistently) when I try to make it show 1/4 the amount of content I need to sift through.  The middle-button scrolling (thumb with my mouse) was a later, tacked-on feature; and generally dealing with scrolling of lengthy pages is a major PITA: slow and choppy ~14fps, inaccurate, feels broken, seems like it's choking for a moment when updating a downloaded element during the scroll.

So, imho: Chrome for small footprint, light usage;  FF for serious use.

It's 2010, 2GB RAM is a must, no? :) .
Posted on 2010-03-30 21:33:51 by Ultrano

90kB ? Meh, during work I keep mine with 1GB loaded content, 300 tabs grouped in 2-3 dozens of windows across virtual desktops.

skywalker misquoted the read out. It's 90,000+ K, or around 90MB... not 90,000+ bytes.
Posted on 2010-03-30 21:54:57 by SpooK
We were on the same page then ^^" . I meant to type 90MB, but made the same error...
Posted on 2010-03-30 22:20:27 by Ultrano

Using task manager, I see that firefox starts out at around 48,000 bytes of memory use and steadily climbs upward to 90,000 plus.

IE 6.0 stays steady at around 18,000 bytes.

Does anyone know why Firefox 3.6.2 is such a "memory pig" ?

1.) Read about Firefox Memory Usage
2.) Read about Windows Memory Management
3.) Read about how to reduce Firefox Memory Usage
4.) Type about:memory into your FF3 address bar and note the difference between it and Task Manager

What do you think of Iexplorer 8.0?

I think using Firefox, Safari, Chrome or Opera is outright better than anything IE8 attempts to offer; go browse QuirksMode if you need examples as to why.

You can attempt to hold out for IE9... but only if you're running a version of Windows newer than XP :lol:

In your (skywalker's) particular case of limited RAM, you may want to take JimmyClif's advise and go with Chrome.
Posted on 2010-03-31 01:14:39 by SpooK
FireFox is somewhat of a memory pig, especially once addons are taken into consideration. After a day of browsing, my firefox process is often at 800MB+. But that's having used (and having open) a crapload of tabs, and I've tweaked settings to make it cache a higher amount of closed tabs for quick restoration.

If all you need is simple browsing, Chrome is probably a decent enough choice - it's slightly faster than FF. But it lacks the extendability of FF, making it a no-go for me.

IE8 might actually be the better choice security-wise if you on Vista/Win7 and haven't been stupid enough to disable UAC. Will be interesting to see what IE9 adds, it sounds promising... but I'm not holding my breath.
Posted on 2010-03-31 02:04:48 by f0dder
Yea, I worked at a university a few years ago, where we had some old machines for development and testing.
We worked on porting the existing website to the Typo3 CMS.
Some of those machines only had 512 MB... and we used both FireFox and IE6/7 to test the website.
Every new tab in FireFox took about 20 MB of memory extra, so you quickly ran out of the available 512 MB.

I've never used FireFox at home on my Windows PCs (I used the original Netscape in the early years though, but eventually moved to IE, and later Maxthon). I only used it for my FreeBSD system, because it seemed to be the most compatible browser when IE is not available. But it's not very good on FreeBSD. Very memory-hungry, slow, and unstable. It crashes quite often, few times a day.

But recently I discovered Chrome. I like it... it's fast, it seems to render everything correctly, and it has a very nice and clean user interface. So I use it as my main browser on Windows now. I've also started using a preliminary port for FreeBSD, which I like a lot better than FireFox already.
Posted on 2010-03-31 02:17:04 by Scali

I used to be quite the Opera fan and still think that Opera's sidebar bookmark feature is one of the best I've ever seen - but using Chrome I hardly miss it.

Chrome + LastPass + Speed Dial + Session Manager makes me happy.

I would try Chrome but don't have a P-4.
Posted on 2010-03-31 11:55:57 by skywalker

[

In your (skywalker's) particular case of limited RAM, you may want to take JimmyClif's advise and go with Chrome.

I disable some plugins and the memory used dropped by 25 Mb.

The Task Manager's memory listings are misleading.

After making some tweaks and closing/minimizing Firefox when I am not using it, the memory usage is quite OK.

Made a big mistake in "trying out i.e. 8.0.

There is no way short of reinstalling XP to go back to 6.0 :-(

I found that ie 8.0 uses about twice what 6.0 uses.

I only keep I.E. around because some sites require it.

Posted on 2010-03-31 12:01:44 by skywalker

I found that ie 8.0 uses about twice what 6.0 uses.

I only keep I.E. around because some sites require it.

1.) Internet Explorer Collection
2.) IE Tab for Firefox
3.) IE Tab for Chrome
Posted on 2010-03-31 12:22:00 by SpooK
Thanks Spook for the links.

You can get user agent here.
It lets you look like another browser.

Unfortunately, no other browser uses ActiveX because of security vulverabilities,
so it can't be used for updates and security fixes. :-(

http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

Viewing the User-Agent String
To view your browser's user-agent string, type the following into the address bar.

javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent)
Posted on 2010-04-05 09:35:47 by skywalker
Firefox 3.6.3 is out :idea:
Posted on 2010-04-05 15:23:55 by SpooK