hello guys how are you doing???
I am new to the assembly world and I really really need to learn this language and master it :D
I am into the computer security and gray hat hacking { ethical hacker } and one of the requirement is the knowledge of the language, but what I want is more than just knowledge, so I Googled the ASM and found that I can I use NASM, anyways I am following a tutorial and an EBook, but it seems that you must know the language already, for example the code says :
section .data
---
----
-----
------ mnemonics and operands go here
-------
-------
----
---

and they doesn't say what "section .data means" , I think that they mean the Data segment of the memory but I am not sure, so can anyone suggest me an ebook which gets you from the beginner through the semi-advanced level???

I am want to master the 32-bit processors

-Abed
Posted on 2010-04-16 16:57:42 by kmitnick

section .data
---
----
-----
------ mnemonics and operands go here
-------
-------
----
---

Reminds me of that post I read somewhere where the one guy was interviewing someone about C# and the interview-ee replied he liked the curly braces.

I would suggest the usual... Thomas' Beginner assembly tutorials which cover some groundwork and then the Iczelion tutorials.

http://www.madwizard.org/programming/tutorials/

http://win32assembly.online.fr/tutorials.html

Along with a healthy dose of curiosity to research opcodes this should occupy for at least a week or two.

All of these tutorials are based on Masm which is Windows only but after understanding this a transition to either Nasm or Fasm (or GoAsm or Whatever floats your boat) shouldn't be too much trouble.
Posted on 2010-04-16 17:17:39 by JimmyClif
thnx for the reply, I will see them and get back to you.
thnx for the support
Posted on 2010-04-20 06:30:39 by kmitnick

hello guys how are you doing???
I am new to the assembly world and I really really need to learn this language and master it :D
I am into the computer security and gray hat hacking { ethical hacker } and one of the requirement is the knowledge of the language, but what I want is more than just knowledge, so I Googled the ASM and found that I can I use NASM, anyways I am following a tutorial and an EBook, but it seems that you must know the language already,

-Abed

Hi Abed,
We are on the same boat :)
I would suggest you to start with the following:

1. Assembly Primer for Hackers Video Series by Vivek Ramachandran. 11 awesome Videos on Linux assembly. He has used GAS assembler and GDB debugger.
2. Programming from Ground up - Awesome book to demonstrate assembly linux programs

These two would give you a great start and proper understanding. After this you can move to Win32 Assembly.

Regards
RingZ
Posted on 2010-04-20 22:39:08 by RingZzer0