I live about 200 miles from the oil leak and came up with an idea.

Why not set off some explosives in the hole and seal the leak?

BP is rich enough to be able to do without that well.

Keeping the ocean safe should be the main concern.

Any thoughts?

Andy

Posted on 2010-04-30 17:41:27 by skywalker
I happen to work in the offshore industry... and I'll tell you, any operation at 1500 meters deep is going to be very difficult.
They can only use remotely operated vehicles.
Explosives aren't the answer. Normally they use concrete to seal a well. But it's going to be very difficult to do that, with all the oil coming out under high pressure. The concrete is normally poured down the drill string, pretty much. But there is no drill string now, and getting a new drill string down there, exactly at the right spot? That's going to be a very difficult task.
Posted on 2010-04-30 18:11:52 by Scali
I am surprised that the oil is under pressure especially as deep as it is.
I thought they had to actually pump it out.

I guess it's like letting the Genie out of the bottle.  :lol:
Posted on 2010-05-02 07:16:05 by skywalker
The problem *is* the pressure, actually... Usually, where there's oil, there's natural gas. That's where the danger is... If you drill down into an oil well, the gas might suddenly come up, and the gas is very explosive, so you get a 'blowout'.
The gas is what pushes the oil out.
See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowout_(well_drilling)

Now I'm not sure if this is a case of a blowout, because nothing has been reported yet, as far as I know... but it sure looks like a blowout.
Posted on 2010-05-02 07:34:22 by Scali
just stop oil exploitation (105 billions dollar a year just for europe) and there will be no more pollution.
Posted on 2010-05-08 10:34:15 by edfed
Maybe BP should drop a Blu-82 into the well.

At $27,000, it's pretty cheap.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/blu-82.htm

What do you think?

Posted on 2010-06-02 13:33:42 by skywalker

Maybe BP should drop a Blu-82 into the well.

At $27,000, it's pretty cheap.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/blu-82.htm

What do you think?

Make a tight fist around a M-80 and light it off... then let me know how you feel about the above suggestion :lol:
Posted on 2010-06-02 15:53:03 by SpooK
The plot thickens...
Firstly, apparently BP didn't own the platform, they just rented it from another company, called Transocean. Which means that Transocean is responsible for things such as safety and maintenance.
Secondly, weeks before the disaster, it was already known that the BlowOut Preventer was not working properly.
Instead of repairing the BOP, they opted for some workaround, as repairing the BOP would require them to halt all production for a while.

I think that's interesting... technically Transocean is a US company (founded by US people, run by US people, mainly operating in the vicinity of the US)... however, their headquarters are located in Switzerland (strange place for an offshore company, don't you think?). Although they obviously have an office in Houston aswell, which is probably the REAL headquarters, and also the office responsible for operations in the Mexican Gulf.
But it looks more and more like it's not just an accident. It's just lack of maintenance and responsibility. And it isn't BP's fault, it's Transocean's fault. But it's so much easier for the US to be tough on foreign companies than their own... so I wonder what will happen now.
Posted on 2010-06-21 03:37:41 by Scali
I think that politicians and lawyers could seal the leak... if we used enough of them. They're pudgier than golf balls. Obama himself is not that pudgy, but he's tall and would make good bridging material. "Look way down this pipe, Mr. President!"

More seriously, if we didn't find oil deep underground, but instead found it floating on to of the water like this, we surely would have developed a method to "mine" it. We can go a mile under the ocean, and drill down another couple of miles to extract this oil, but we can't scoop it up when it's just floating there waiting to be picked up? C'mon!

Do you know of the "Java Mud Volcano" (a.k.a. "lusi")? Apparently we can't stop that one either. I don't think pumping mud down the well is going to work in that case! :)

It's a dangerous world. We'll never get out of here alive! :)

Best,
Frank

Posted on 2010-06-21 10:04:53 by fbkotler

More seriously, if we didn't find oil deep underground, but instead found it floating on to of the water like this, we surely would have developed a method to "mine" it. We can go a mile under the ocean, and drill down another couple of miles to extract this oil, but we can't scoop it up when it's just floating there waiting to be picked up? C'mon!

Rules of supply and demand. There are ways to 'scoop up' the oil. The Dutch have sent some installations over, which can be mounted on the side of a ship. Problem is, there aren't enough of them in the world to really clean things up.
Besides, by the time the oil has reached the surface, most of the damage has already been done. The fish, birds and other animals in the sea have already been affected.
Posted on 2010-06-21 10:20:09 by Scali