I am having a problem with a popup.

Where I am at, I'm using Firefox on a WinMe system.

A box keeps popping up saying:

"Warning The authenticity of the content cannot be verified....

Unable to create certificate chain from the signing certificate to a root.

Do you want to install and run Adobe Flash Player Installer signed on...."

I have search high and low and find many references to it.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Vielen Dank
Posted on 2010-05-09 15:47:02 by skywalker

I am having a problem with a popup.

Where I am at, I'm using Firefox on a WinMe system.

A box keeps popping up saying:

"Warning The authenticity of the content cannot be verified....

Unable to create certificate chain from the signing certificate to a root.

Do you want to install and run Adobe Flash Player Installer signed on...."

I have search high and low and find many references to it.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Vielen Dank

With nearly 4000 members here, no one wants to help me?

Posted on 2010-05-09 21:50:37 by skywalker

With nearly 4000 members here, no one wants to help me?

Drawing illogical conclusions is no reason to bump your own thread within the same day.

Have you anticipated that maybe no one can help you? How many people run WinME these days?
Posted on 2010-05-09 22:27:21 by SpooK
You can also at least provide what version of Firefox you are using, as well as any significant information about your WinME installation.

If you want us to continue helping you, you can at least make it easier/feasible for us to do so.
Posted on 2010-05-09 22:30:35 by SpooK
Does this just happen when you open firefox the first time, on any page load, on a specific website, or something else entirely?

Have you installed the latest available Flash Player, manually?
Posted on 2010-05-09 23:01:53 by SpooK
And also who exactly signed this particular plugin installer? Maybe it's trying to install itself from a malicious/fraudulent site.

Another option is that it may be genuine but have been signed with RSA2048. I don't know if Firefox on WinME supports RSA with keys longer than 1024.
Posted on 2010-05-10 00:21:35 by ti_mo_n

Does this just happen when you open firefox the first time, on any page load, on a specific website, or something else entirely?

Have you installed the latest available Flash Player, manually?

I am using Version 2.0 of Firefox.

It popups on any page.
It even happens when I used Netscape.

It also happened when I have the latest Flash Player installed.

Andy
Posted on 2010-05-11 08:15:42 by skywalker

It even happens when I used Netscape.

If that is the case, then it isn't an issue with Firefox at all. It is probably an issue with your WinME installation.

If you want to get to the bottom of this, you can start by running Spybot S&D and see what turns up.
Posted on 2010-05-11 10:50:03 by SpooK
Perhaps not the cause of this particular issue but it is worth checking, is your computer's date time correct?
Posted on 2010-05-11 14:58:08 by LocoDelAssembly
You said you're using the latest version of Flash, but are you using the 98/ME edition? Try getting your copy from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ and specifically selecting the Windows 98/ME version. Also, I noticed you said you were running FIrefox 2.0. I believe I read somewhere that for efficient flash support under ME you need IE6 or Firefox 2.5 (it's preferred to use Firefox 3.0 with flash but 2.5 was the last one available for ME iirc).

I think I'm with keith here in that if your problem is persistent with multiple browsers then the issue is more likely with the OS itself or with flash itself. Due to the bad rap that ME has, you need to make sure that the software you get is explicitly built to run for ME or you'll get all sorts of wild errors. Also, flash itself has gone through many incarnations over the years and it's very possible that they just don't have a large enough WinME user base to care to test for backward compatibility on every single release.

If you really want to get to the bottom of this, try setting up flash/firefox on a barebones WinME settup, no apps just a clean install. play with the versions of flash you install, try installing something other than flash.. try the  gnash win32 port as an alternative. Take your time to poke around and write down (on paper) what you do and how it affects your system. It's basic troubleshooting 101.
Posted on 2010-05-11 15:10:01 by Synfire

You said you're using the latest version of Flash, but are you using the 98/ME edition? Try getting your copy from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ and specifically selecting the Windows 98/ME version. Also, I noticed you said you were running FIrefox 2.0. I believe I read somewhere that for efficient flash support under ME you need IE6 or Firefox 2.5 (it's preferred to use Firefox 3.0 with flash but 2.5 was the last one available for ME iirc).

I think I'm with keith here in that if your problem is persistent with multiple browsers then the issue is more likely with the OS itself or with flash itself. Due to the bad rap that ME has, you need to make sure that the software you get is explicitly built to run for ME or you'll get all sorts of wild errors. Also, flash itself has gone through many incarnations over the years and it's very possible that they just don't have a large enough WinME user base to care to test for backward compatibility on every single release.

If you really want to get to the bottom of this, try setting up flash/firefox on a barebones WinME settup, no apps just a clean install. play with the versions of flash you install, try installing something other than flash.. try the  gnash win32 port as an alternative. Take your time to poke around and write down (on paper) what you do and how it affects your system. It's basic troubleshooting 101.

Firefox 2.0 is the newest version that will run on Win Me. There is no version 2.5, it goes from 2.0 -> 3.0.

Just for research, I will see if the stupid window pops up when using Internet Explorer.

All of my software is designed to run on Me.

I will run Spybot with the newest updates.

I may re-install the O.S.
Maybe some files got corrupted.

I have no other problems.

Posted on 2010-05-11 22:13:41 by skywalker
you're right, the one I was thinking of was 2.0.0.5 (ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/2.0.0.5/win32/en-US/) sorry about that.
Posted on 2010-05-11 23:05:54 by Synfire
When I ran Spybot it found all kinds of crap including 2 Trojans. (One was called dial32.exe)

I don't see that popup window anymore.

Think I will look for a Firewall for this system.

Posted on 2010-05-16 19:35:20 by skywalker