Since going to SP3, my PCI modem won't fax anymore.

It makes calls fine.

So I thought of maybe buying a newer modem.

My current one required it's own driver installation for Windows to even recognize it.

Will a newer modem be recognized right out of the box?

Posted on 2010-08-14 00:52:33 by skywalker
Difficult to say.
You always need drivers to get hardware recognized.
If it works out of the box, it just means that those drivers happened to come with Windows. Doesn't mean the hardware is any better, more compatible or anything. In fact, the bundled drivers are usually pretty old and minimal. I always download and install the latest drivers anyway.

With Windows XP being as old as it is, the chances of drivers for new hardware to be included with XP are virtually 0.
I'm not sure if getting a different modem will solve your problems either... If it used to work before, and it can still make calls, then perhaps it's just some fax options that are messed up. Or perhaps you need to install an updated driver because the current one is not compatible with SP3.
Posted on 2010-08-14 02:00:05 by Scali
Log into Windows as usual, then stick your Windows XP installer CD in the CDROM drive, and choose "install optional components" from the menu that appears (assumes autorun is enabled).
Now look for "Fax Services", and install that... at this point a reboot might be a good idea.
That should be all you need to do.
Posted on 2010-08-14 02:02:48 by Homer
Re-installing the fax services did not help.

I even tried some freeware fax programs with no luck.

Posted on 2010-08-14 13:53:42 by skywalker
Curious - that was posted by someone in the same situation - SP3 breaking their ability to send and receive faxes - there is a COM component called FAXCOM.DLL that microsoft supplies, you can try this with a little SCRIPT... also check that the Service is indeed Started and is running , via Services Applet in the Admin Tools. It's possible that the Service was set to Disabled rather than Manual or Auto.

This problem appears to be quite common, interesting :)
Posted on 2010-08-14 19:49:29 by Homer

Curious - that was posted by someone in the same situation - SP3 breaking their ability to send and receive faxes - there is a COM component called FAXCOM.DLL that microsoft supplies, you can try this with a little SCRIPT... also check that the Service is indeed Started and is running , via Services Applet in the Admin Tools. It's possible that the Service was set to Disabled rather than Manual or Auto.

This problem appears to be quite common, interesting :)

I could not find faxcom.dll.

I think it came with Win 2000.

I did find a modem on an HP Pavillion where the fax does work.
That modem has WinXP inbuild support which I believe is necessary for them to work with SP3.

Posted on 2010-08-15 15:46:32 by skywalker
:shock:
Posted on 2010-08-15 18:36:47 by Homer
If all else fails: Geek Squad :idea:
Posted on 2010-08-15 18:44:25 by SpooK
Not meaning at all to brag, but I probably know a tad more than them.

I ordered a newer modem.

I should  be faxing  by Friday.  :D

On another note.
A second drive went "nite-nite" on my mother's computer.

Some of the interesting clues were...

1. Explorer would sometimes not show the drive
2. Checking the disk for errors failed

But a funny thing concerning Disk Management.
It said that the disk was healthy.  :D

Take care my good friend.
Posted on 2010-08-15 22:52:52 by skywalker
It's most likely a dry solder joint (thermal intermittent fault) in the drive's controller (daughter)board.
If the drive content was important enough, you could source another drive by the same manufacturer that as close to the same model as possible and surgically replace the controller board - but I'm guessing it's not that important in this case, and given that the fault is intermittent, you can get any important stuff off there before it gets any worse.

While I'm at it, I have some other suggestions for drive recovery.
#1 is to try to recover the data with PCINSPECTOR, this software uses only BIOS calls to read the drive and so can often recover drives even when Windows can't detect them (as long as BIOS can, we're sweet).

#2 is specifically for External USB drives .. open the case of the drive and you'll find a regular HDD with a regular 40-pin IDE connector that is not being used - pull out the plug that is in there, its connected to the USB controller which is probably fried - now just connect it as a regular IDE drive and get your data off there.

#3 is for drives of any kind with misaligned heads due to being bumped or dropped, or just seems to make weird scary noises.
Place it in an airtight freezer bag, and freeze it for 6 to 8 hours, now plug it in and get your data off there. The cold will shrink all the mechanical parts, and that can free parts that are seizing. You have 30 minutes or so before the drive becomes warm again, so you may need to do it a few times.
This will work 6 or 7 times before its permanently dead.
If this makes the noises even WORSE than before, place it back in the bag, and put it in a double boiler and warm it up until its about 40 degrees C - this will make the mechanical parts expand, which will reduce the amount of freeplay between the mechanical parts in very old and worn drives.
Again you have about 30 minutes before the temperature changes back to normal, and again this will only work 6 or 7 times before you completely destroy the drive('s bearings).

If all else fails, give it a bit of a thump, you can get lucky.
And if that doesn't work, hit it harder - it won't help, but it sure feels good :)

20 thousand dollars is the cheapest you can expect to pay for professional data recovery via magnetic resonant imaging, for that price they won't even bother trying to realign your heads, it's too time consuming and error prone, and chances are that the heads became misaligned for a reason, and that realigning them will turn out to be a waste of time and money.

Posted on 2010-08-16 01:06:41 by Homer
The drive was only 6 Gb and it lasted quite a while.

I was only using it to store a backup image of by C: drive.

Posted on 2010-08-16 10:45:55 by skywalker