Hello,

I want to learn the assembly language, because I want to understand how the computer is internally working.
I am a fresh C programmer, and I ask myself which compiler should I use the MASM or the FASM?

TASM and MASM are old and the source code isn't portable.

And where I get tutorials for that? I have only the documentations from FASM and NASM.

And I know the ASM Community have a own Tutorial, but I want to use it offline.

Are they exist an offline version of these Tutorial ?

Thanks, squboo
Posted on 2010-08-18 12:42:46 by squiddy boo
I want to learn the assembly language, because I want to understand how the computer is internally working.

Good idea. Please check, for example the following thread in this forum:

http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=30143.0

TASM and MASM are old and the source code isn't portable.

Assembly language code isn't portable. For such purpose use C or another high level language.

Good luck!

Gunther

Posted on 2010-08-18 13:31:33 by Gunther
Assembly language code isn't portable. For such purpose use C or another high level language.
At least FASM, YASM and NASM are available for more operating systems (and host, though not target, CPUs) than tasm/masm, and support more output formats :)
Posted on 2010-08-18 14:12:11 by f0dder
At least FASM, YASM and NASM are available for more operating systems (and host, though not target, CPUs) than tasm/masm, and support more output formats

Sure. Also available is the GCC including GAS for a wide range of operating systems with a lot of output formats and a total other assembly language syntax. I should say more precisely: The generated machine code generated by an Assembler isn't easy portable, because it differs from processor to processor. Right?

On the other hand: for the x86 architecture NASM (together with NASMX) seems to be a good choice. But that's a matter of taste.

Gunther
Posted on 2010-08-18 15:56:50 by Gunther