Hi Everyone!

As some of you are aware, I'm an avid user of GNU/Linux and OpenBSD operating systems (though historically I'll use whatever OS is available). Truth is, I don't think I've even touched a Windows computer, other than to do random repairs for family/clients, in over a year now. But now that more and more of my development and computing work is become personal rather than commercial, I find myself wanting to get back to my roots and I've been spending a LOT less time in X-Windows/KDE. In fact, with applications like Zinc, Irssi, and Finch for Chat; links with -g mode for web browsing, and midnight commander for file transfers, Alpine for email, sc for spreadsheets, Emacs for code editing, and tons more, I find less reasons to use the startx command each day.

That being said, there one thing which still drags me out of the console and I was wondering if any of you guys knew of console mode word processor for GNU/Linux? I've tried Wordgrinder and unfortunately that won't work, it doesn't support centering and without centering what's the point. To be honest, Emacs would work fine if there was a basic word-processor (bold,italic,underline to persistent storage like html or some binary filetype like rtf) plugin.

Regards,
Bryant Keller
Posted on 2010-08-22 23:22:08 by Synfire
hmm just found txtfmt
haven't tested it, though...
Posted on 2010-08-23 09:19:21 by anta40
Thanks anta40, I've bookmarked it. I'm only hesitant because that'll require me to install VIM, an editor which I'm not very comfortable with. For example, centering text (an issue from Wordgrinder), to do something like this in VIM iirc you use the command :ce so to center the first three lines in a standard document I'd have to type the following in command mode:

:1,3ce70

Kinda odd huh... and I'm not really much of a VIM guru, I only used it for a short period of time in the mid-90's (I think that was actually VI but whatever). If I can at all avoid having to relearn all the VIM command codes I'd be happy, but if not that's cool too. This txtfmt does actually look close to what I'm looking for, just not happy that it's for VIM. lol
Posted on 2010-08-23 10:15:10 by Synfire
It is not too difficult to get used to vim. It didn't take too long for me to learn it.
Posted on 2010-08-24 07:33:07 by roticv
rotciv,

Yeah, since I downloaded txtfmt yesterday I've been tinkering around with vim. It's got some good features (like the :!{cmd} stuff which is just cool) but, as it turns out. Emacs already supports something called "Enriched Mode". I was checking a few places I posted this question and someone helped me find a solution that Emacs supports internally! Apparently, if you type M-x enriched-mode before you type any text in the buffer your buffer becomes an enriched mode buffer capable of saving text in text/enriched format. :)

Posted on 2010-08-24 07:59:44 by Synfire
Hi synfirre

By requesting a *word processor* I surmise you want to produce professional looking documents, letters or even books.  so why don't you bit the bullet and try TeX? is a little hard to learn, but the result are worth it. it could be used with any editor, and are compatible with several spell checkers.

try it, you wont regret it

Carlos Pacheco
Posted on 2010-08-24 11:11:28 by Carlos
Carlos,

Actually, by word processor I meant something similar to word4dos or word perfect. An editor which supports WYSIWYG formatting suitable for writing essays and reports. Emacs enriched mode seems to be working great. :)

I think of TeX as more of a markup language than a word processor. I have used LaTeX in the past (in a minimal capacity) for some simple documentation purposes regarding my networking class. I'm not a big fan of the TeX/LaTeX stuff, I'd rather just use XHTML or XML and then generate a PDF. That's kinda why I like the enriched mode, its markup is simple "<tag>words here</tag>" style markup system that I'm already familiar with and it can be converted to HTML using PERL then distributed to PDF or PS using the HTML::HTMLDoc or just published straight to HTML with fairly little effort.
Posted on 2010-08-24 21:00:11 by Synfire
i am not sure but perhaps links web browser will suit your needs. its less then a meg and you can edit files with it too.
Posted on 2010-08-25 11:10:21 by Turnip

i am not sure but perhaps links web browser will suit your needs. its less then a meg and you can edit files with it too.

Really?! How? I've used links as my primary browser for quite a long time and I've never been aware of any editor features. It would be an awesome feature for links. :)
Posted on 2010-08-25 13:51:52 by Synfire