My tutorial is finally done!  

Check it out here!

Please let me know what you think and let me know f anyone is interested in seeing another tutrial!

It is an introduction to programming in ASM.

Required:
Some basic knowledge of Visual studio
Visual studio (Express may also work)

The first section covers the following:
Basic Assembly concepts
Setting up a project
Basic registers
Writing a C application
Adding Assembly

Who is this tutorial for?
This tutorial is for anyone who is interested in learning the basics of how to program in assembly. It is a step towards writing your first assembly application. By using inline assembly, you donít need to worry about selecting a compiler and learning how to use the compiler. More tutorials are to come. The next tutorial will be more advanced and cover compiler specific and language specific details.

Posted on 2010-10-04 09:01:01 by thepenguinmaster
Review:

A nice little introductory tutorial for Windows developers interested in dipping their toes into the world of assembly.  The author uses VS2008 for the environment but note that the technique used is also applicable to earlier versions of VS as well.  MS inline assembly permits a gentle introduction to assembler by enabling the use of C declared variables while hiding the function prologue/epilogue from the developer ( of course you are always free to __declspec(naked) if you need more control).

When using inline assembly bear in mind that the compiler's optimizer is disabled for any function which uses it.  You are, after all, using assembly to hand-optimize the code yourself.  Also note, if you have ANY intentions of attempting 64-bit assembly then forget about using inline assembly.  MS requires ml64 for this.

The last sentence in this tutorial may mislead novices - "This will give us the foundation for setting up a program to run without an operating system."
Hopefully the author expands upon this.

Summary:
Short, sweet, and worth a read if you're a Windows developer wanting to put a little 32-bit asm spice into your code.
Posted on 2010-10-06 08:03:01 by p1ranha