its pretty solid right now so i thought maybe some people can test it out for me and tell me what you think. internet explorer and hopefully netscape webrowsers should be supported at this time. it has an installer and an uninstaller. registry will also be written to but ive set it up so that no traces of my program should be left on your computer when you uninstall it. i still have plenty of work that can be done to it but at this time is a bare bones app that works well. its comes in zip format because this board doesnt support the .exe format. just unzip and click on the installer.

written only in assembly language thats why it qualifies for the general board. :grin:
Posted on 2002-01-19 00:02:59 by smurf
Hi

Could you tell me the theory?
How does it judge the ie window is opened by script?

thanks

terry
Posted on 2002-01-19 01:08:31 by xqterry
this is how i check for my windows(internet explorer ones):

1) i enumerate all windows that have the class name of IEFRAME

2) i compare the caption when they first popup to my destroyed and protected list.

3) if they match they will either stay open or be destroyed depending on what list they are in.

# for java appelets i just disable them all by changing an entry in the internet explorer security section in the registry.

#the protected list is just so you can put a list of common websites you visit into. they will no longer show up in the popup list so its easier to figure out which window you want to add to the destroyed list when new ones appear.

#the only drawback really on this app is that you need to train it kill the popups you dont want to see.

now these probably arent the best methods to use but i would like to hear of any suggestions on how i can improve on that.
Posted on 2002-01-19 09:13:16 by smurf
Hi,

I haven't tested your program, yet, but i've an idea how you could improve your program: why don't you check the size of the pop up window? most pop up windows have a specific size, or are at least smaller than others.
hope that helps....

regards,
NOP
Posted on 2002-01-19 12:42:09 by NOP-erator
I have used an older version of your program and it is quite useful, allthough I would like to add something.

Some popups have a random number at the end of the title/url, so could you add the ability to enter wildcards for the destroyed windows?
Posted on 2002-01-19 13:34:47 by justsomeone
NOP-erator: thank you. that is a good idea i will implement that soon. it will be an extra setting either as on or off, that will come with a default size. the user may chose to change the size if he/she wishes.

justsomeone: do you have a website that i can visit that has this random number so i can see what you are refering to? im not quite sure what you mean.

thanks for testing
Posted on 2002-01-19 14:33:02 by smurf
I haven't yet tested your program, but if I understand well you do a double check, one for allowed popups and one for not allowed ones. Why not to do only one check for allowed popups and if the popup is not in the list.... KILL :grin:.
Posted on 2002-01-19 16:04:16 by LuHa
when i check for allowed popups the only thing im searching for is to see if its in the protected list. if its in the protected list i dont allow the text to be displayed in the detected popup list. this is just to help with distinguishing the unknown popups(possible ones you may want destroyed) from ones you never want destroyed.

by the way, you should test my program it only a 49kb download.
Posted on 2002-01-19 16:21:19 by smurf
An example url is http://www.rankyou.com/cpt_transfers/serv/enter_one.php?SSE2002

The thing after the ? is whatever company ordered the ad, and changes on every website that has this popup, so would it be possible to add something like http://www.rankyou.com/cpt_transfers/serv/enter_one.php?* to the destroyed list, with the * as a wildcard.
Posted on 2002-01-20 18:58:47 by justsomeone
right now im horrible at string minipulation. im working on learning everything i can about working with strings and then hopefully i can implement something like that. as of right now it doesnt look like it will be added anytime soon.
Posted on 2002-01-25 10:53:14 by smurf