My system is Linux, Fedora 12. I am looking for the best editor to show object files in hex format and ability to edit the individual bytes.
I am now using od but i need a more sophisticated tool. I remember one of our assembly professionals of this site talked about an editor to show files, it was light....or something like that....I wonder if anybody can write its name.
Posted on 2011-02-08 04:09:14 by logicman112
If you are running Fedora 12, you should worry more about getting your system updated than trying to find a hex editor (Fedora's current stable is FC14). But to answer your question, the default yum repos have a graphical hex editor called ghex which was designed for hex editing in gnome. It's definitely worth a look-see. :)
Posted on 2011-02-08 04:25:10 by Synfire
Thank you very much to reply. I downloaded ghex, unfortunately is not good as it does not show the addresses, elf info and the window can not be resized on 800*600 resolution!!
Posted on 2011-02-08 05:51:47 by logicman112
Ghex is probably the best one I have found for linux. If your not editing and only reading you might find File > Save as HTML useful as it shows addresses and such.

@Synfire: I find Fedora 12 MUCH more stable on my netbook, on 14 it crashes during boot and I had to try install 3 times before I got it.
Posted on 2011-02-09 22:14:00 by Coty

@Synfire: I find Fedora 12 MUCH more stable on my netbook, on 14 it crashes during boot and I had to try install 3 times before I got it.

I've not yet run into that problem. I liked FC13 cause it didn't bug me with errors as often, but since those errors I'm getting out of FC14 have been SELinux policy warning from some applications I'm running not wanting to play nice with my pedantic configuration, I don't see much of a reason not to run it.

Edit - The "crashes during boot", that wouldn't have happend to be the error where the system unexpectedly disconnects from the boot status daemon was it? I never had it completely crash, but it did get that boot up error a few times when FC14 first came out. I never saw an update release for it, but it did eventually stop doing that during one of the daily updates.
Posted on 2011-02-10 18:42:39 by Synfire
Well not really a 'crash' as I said (sorry crash is an inaccurate easy explanation). I don't remember exactly it had to do with APIC or system BUS. It would hang and I would swap the graffic loading screen to the text screen and would get of course step by step.

It would hang on everything unless I help down a key. (Almost as if I had to manually poke the kernel via keyboard IRQ). I had to ALWAYS do this if I opened firefox I'd have to hold on a key or it would hang unless I held a key.

When Installing something I had to hold a key or move my mouse or else it would hang, everything that had to do with the hard disk basically... after about 2 hours of working with it like that and already had trying to install it three times, I was basically done screwing with it...

I actually made a post about it on the fedora message board: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=256238

But the next day I really wanted my netbook back..
Posted on 2011-02-10 19:54:22 by Coty
Ah! I know that error! :)

Some netbooks have an unsupported ACPI which conflicts with certain build's default configuration. Fortunately, this error is so common, there IS a fix. When you boot Fedora 14 hit ESC when GRUB is loading, then use the edit mode to add the following to your kernel parameters:

acpi=off apm=off

This will disable those troublesome modules. I had this issue with my netbook when it first came out.

If this does work and you want to make these changes perminate, modify the /boot/grub/grub.conf file to include both these options.
Posted on 2011-02-10 23:15:35 by Synfire
Hm, Thanks! I really wasn't expecting a solution, I will try that sometime soon, perhaps over the weekend.

@ logicman112:

I just remembered 'shed' you might find it useful if you can stand using a text mode interface. from the consel just type shed, you'll get something like:
Command not found: Install package 'shed' to provide command 'shed' ?  

To open files just use shed examplefile, it shows file offset, HEX, binary, ASCII, and DEC.
Posted on 2011-02-11 09:33:58 by Coty

I've not yet run into that problem. I liked FC13 cause it didn't bug me with errors as often, but since those errors I'm getting out of FC14 have been SELinux policy warning from some applications I'm running not wanting to play nice with my pedantic configuration, I don't see much of a reason not to run it.

Edit - The "crashes during boot", that wouldn't have happend to be the error where the system unexpectedly disconnects from the boot status daemon was it? I never had it completely crash, but it did get that boot up error a few times when FC14 first came out. I never saw an update release for it, but it did eventually stop doing that during one of the daily updates.

I too run Fedora 14 but inside a VirtualBox VM.  The latest updates (which also bump the kernel to 2.6.35.11-83) fix many of the problems with "crashes" reported by ABRT ( both kernel and desktop).  At first the APIC error messages during boot concerned me but after researching the issue it appears to be just a warning not an error.  IMHO This is the best update release thus far.
Posted on 2011-02-11 10:23:16 by p1ranha
Yeah, I updated last night ~3AM, haven't had anymore SELinux alerts since.
Posted on 2011-02-11 12:37:12 by Synfire
I use Beye (formerly Biew) in Windows. It works quite well, has all of the features I've need, and I've never felt the urge to try anything else. I've heard it compiles in QNX, so I would assume it compiles under Linux too.
Posted on 2011-03-18 15:08:30 by Wolfshook