Hey Guys, Do you know a good tool or library  to do GUI applications with gnu assembler ? (GAS)

Thanx!
Posted on 2011-03-22 13:48:12 by massem
Hi Massem (Mar? Marce? - how do you like to be called?),

As you know, Linux uses the "X Windows system" for graphics (most commonly). At the very lowest level, this can be accessed with socket calls - socket, connect (to /tmp/.X11-unix/X0), read/write (or send/recv). Usually, Xlib is used to handle the "housekeeping". There's another, XCB, alleged to be "lighter weight" - I have had *very* limited success with it. In practice, this is considered "too low level" for any GUI work, and a higher level library is used (which calls Xlib for us) - "mosaic"... I think the newest(?) would be gtk+(?).

These libraries can be called from assembly - (G)as or others - as well as from other languages. If your program consists of a series of library calls, there isn't much "advantage" to doing it in assembly (unless you "like" assembly, and know it better than HLLs, as is my case). I may be able to come up with a (very) few examples - mostly not written by me, and mostly in Nasm (semi-Intel) syntax, not AT&T. I think the "original" Xlib-from-asm example was written by Mammon, in (G)as, and "translated" to Nasm. I might be able to dig up that original, or other examples can be translated to-and-fro... if there's any point to it...

Do you have something in particular in mind that you want to try?

Best,
Frank

Posted on 2011-03-25 10:51:05 by fbkotler
Not the example I had in mind, but here's some stuff from Mammon - mostly gcc inline asm...

http://mammon.github.com/Text/x_apj.txt

Best,
Frank

Posted on 2011-03-25 11:07:23 by fbkotler
Hi Frank, thank you so much for your explanation.  Firstly, marce it is ok for me.  Secondly,  I would like to learn or try to learn everything about GNU assembler. I was learning to do basics things and now.. I would like to create a GUI program. Thats why I asked about that.  I read something on the Internet about GNOME Libraries, and by the way, it would be great if you give me your opinion about that.
Thanks again for your answer.

Marce

Posted on 2011-03-29 13:01:24 by massem