Hi everyone, I want to write a small program for the boot sector in assembly, but all of the asm tutorials I read have windows specific code in them, I want to learn how to interact with the processor using pure assembly. This is just for fun and to see if I can do it. I don't have very much knowledge about processors or assembly though.

Are there any tutorial that can teach me how to dump some text to the screen or something small that I can program in pure assembly? My processor architecture is i686.

Also after writing the program how would I get it onto the boot sector?

Once again, this is just for fun. Any help is appreciated. 
Posted on 2011-07-26 20:44:56 by boxerfangg
Hello there you misguided person:) There is nothing Windows Specific in a boot sector - wanna know why? CUZ THE OPERATING SYSTEM IS NOT LOADED YET!
Posted on 2011-07-27 03:07:45 by Homer
You'll want to know about interfacing directly with the hardware and/or the BIOS.
In which case you'll probably want to look at Ralf Brown's Interrupt List: http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=24671.0

It contains a lot of information on BIOS and legacy PC hardware functionality.
Getting a boot sector in the right place on a disk... there are tools for that, I think... But I just wrote my own, using int 21h in DOS to write sectors directly. Again, see Ralf Brown's interrupt list.
Posted on 2011-07-27 03:37:07 by Scali
Homer, what I was trying to say was that I read some asm tutorials online and they had windows specific code in them, I couldn't find and with pure asm. I need to know pure asm to write a program for the boot sector.

Anyway thank you for the link Scali.
Posted on 2011-07-27 05:19:02 by boxerfangg
Posted on 2011-07-27 07:17:54 by SpooK
That you very much sir. Great link.
Posted on 2011-07-27 16:29:53 by boxerfangg