Hello I am learning Assembly and now I got to the coding part of the book Assembly Language for X86 Processors 6ed and I am having trouble getting the books code to compile and run a second time. It runs fine the first time when I build and debug, but when I run it a second time even without any changes it print outs an error message like this
Error	1	error MSB3721: The command "ml.exe /c /nologo /Zi /Fo"Debug\main.obj" /Fl"Project.lst" /I "c:\Irvine" /W3 /errorReport:prompt  /Tamain.asm" exited with code 1.	C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\BuildCustomizations\masm.targets	49	6	Project

What am I doing wrong here?
The books code can be found here http://kipirvine.com/asm/examples/index.htm I and working on Chapter 3 project.
Thank you for any help.
Posted on 2011-09-09 09:43:34 by lordgus
Hi lordgus,

This is a million miles from my experience, so this is a very wild guess!

I have seen problems with anything in "Program Files" - the space in the directory name confuses certain tools. If you are entering "Program Files" anywhere, make sure it's enclosed in quote marks. Even then, the quote marks aren't always passed from one tool to another. Using "progra~1" - with the "(x86)" in there, perhaps it's "progra~2" - might help. If you're not entering "Program Files" yourself, this won't help. I can't imagine why this would work once but not twice, anyway, so may not be your problem...

Until just now, I was not aware of Curtis Long's port of Kip Irvine's library to Nasm/Linux (where I do have some experience). Thanks for the link! Even if I can't help you, you may have helped me! :)

Best,
Frank

Posted on 2011-09-09 14:20:19 by fbkotler
The problem is the filepath being handed to ml.exe - you have a c:\Irvine folder? I dont
I was able to build this guys stuff with minor path changes, have a nice day :)
Posted on 2011-09-09 21:15:55 by Homer